Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Postby Andrew_electrix » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:23 pm

HI Jackatwo,
Sorry about that (stupid spam)- try again now
Andrew

PS: Tracker next you are going to tell us that Tony abbott really CAN stop the boats??? :roll: or am i being too cynical?!
Andrew_electrix
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Tracker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Andrew_electrix wrote:Tracker next you are going to tell us that Tony abbott really CAN stop the boats???

OT -- Funny thing, someone DID stop them once.
Can't remember just what they did..?
Just remember that they STOPPED.. :(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby badger1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:57 pm

Hello all,
I live off grid in France, and have the 24v version of this inverter, I was very interested to read this info, I have had our inverter on for about 10 months now, we do use the power save mode, but it does worry me, and uses untold amounts of power.
We also have a small Victron inverter about 800va which seems much better, but can cope with the large loads, which can be 3000kw, power tools etc.

Anyway in the UK where I come from they sell an inverter by the name of sterling which has very good reviews and promises to use low power, it certainly looks like a powerstar, so have sterling had it modified or do the words of low wattage lie?
http://www.sterling-power.com/products-icc-specs.htm

I have in my stock of bits to do in the future, a Kipoint L300 inverter, I bought it off ebay, the guy said mains had been connected and blown it, loads of dead mosfets, I was going to order new and give repair a go, but having read this I opened it up again last night and inside is a huge tordial transformer, no telling speck at the moment, but maybe make one good inverter out of the two.

We sometimes use the charging feature of the powerstar, but now have a ex UK army DC charging set, adjustable 24v to 34v DC at 3kw, much more fuel efficient for us, when there is no sun on our PV.

Anyway great article, did you ever get the full service schematic for this?

Steve
badger1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Andrew_electrix » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi badger,
The spec's for that unit listed on the website look indentical to the powerstar W7...
I'm not sure i would believe the published spec's on the no load current/power. i would at least contact them directly and ask explicitly if they know this spec to be accurate and/or get them to measure it for you.

You might be able to use your dead inveter transformer for the 24V version, the low voltage secondary would have to be about: 24 x 0.707 = 16.9v
Plus some overhead for regulation, which would make it approx 15.5-16V

The manufacture of these units is not willing to publicise the circuit diagram for these units, i guess they are paranoid about poeple copying the great design...

Providing we don't get washed away I will be heading up to west wyalong this long weekend so hopefully i can sort out a few of the generator charging issues, with the modified power star W7.

I'll snap a few pics and post them ect

Andrew
Andrew_electrix
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby badger1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Biggest issue I had using powerstar charging is the ups/protection feature.
As the input current ramps up the generators sag on frequency and the charger goes back to inverter mode, I found loading the generator with a 2kw load then charging worked.
Mains generator is a big old ww2 diesel set, now with electronic avr, but still didn’t cope.
Now using a lister diesel charging set, haven’t automated it charging profile yet, so manually adjust dc voltage as charging progress’s, have a 1000amp battery bank at 5hr rate, 1440w pv with mppt charger, but not much sun here at present.

steve
badger1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Andrew_electrix » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:10 am

Hi people's,
here's a few more pic's of the stand alone setup that i've been working on...
It was working well before, now it's even better!!

battery room_resize.jpg
Battery room
battery room_resize.jpg (97.18 KiB) Viewed 13764 times

power board resize.jpg
power board

The 3kVA toroidal transformer can be seen protruding from the sides of the power star W7.
The appliances being used are, 2200W kettle, toaster, breadmaker, LG electronic top load washing machine, microwave, all manner of power tools including a 300mm planer and a 100A inverter welder.
The system (power star W7) handles this with no drama's at all!!

ETSA meter resize.jpg
ETSA meter
ETSA meter resize.jpg (48.7 KiB) Viewed 13764 times

When the meter on my house was upgraded to a import/export meter for grid tied PV the ETSA contracted tech let me have the old disc meter and this is where it's ended up!!
Which is good as they can keep track of how much energy is being used and know how much money they would otherwise be paying to the power company.
Last edited by Andrew_electrix on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew_electrix
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Andrew_electrix » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:35 am

Now the charge controller show the battery state-of-charge, just makes thing more manageable:
100% = :) :)
battery SOC resize.jpg
battery SOC resize.jpg (49.6 KiB) Viewed 13767 times

Because it has a shunt monitoring the current in and out of the battery (which is shown as a negative or positive value) it can keep track of any other energy that delivered to the battery.

Also made up a simple bulk charger consisting of a transformer-rectifier set
3 phase charger_resize.jpg

The surplus 340VA transformers are 44-0-44V and are set up in a centre tap full-wave configuration.
Each transformer has it's own rectifier that feed the filter caps and can be switched on independently.

The AC inputs can be just used all in parallel to increase the current, however it can also be used with 3 phase power from a diesel generator.

This means that the system works as a 6-pulse rectifier which increases the output current even more, reduces the DC ripple on the output and balances the load on the 3 phase alternator.
As it stands it's good for about 15-20A and the current tend to fall off abit as the voltage rises
I left space for another 3x transformers but it wasn't really neccessary.

This is a good plan-B that side steps the generator charging issues i've had through the power star W7

Andrew

PS: Moderator - is it my imagination or has the max file attachement size been reduced from 500kb to 100kb??
Andrew_electrix
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:23 am

Andrew_electrix wrote:PS: Moderator - is it my imagination or has the max file attachement size been reduced from 500kb to 100kb??

No imagination required ;) that's been done by the forum administrator, after I pointed out that someone (not you) had decided to post stacks of ~500kB files of the W7 from every conceivable angle in this very thread. Those files have all been downsized too, with no loss of detail. It was unfair for those on slow connections and with small download limits. I know from many years experience of very slow modem connection just how frustrating it is trying to view web pages filled with large images.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jackatwo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:17 am

@ Gordon (moderator)
I am surprised you did that. 500kb is not that much, why not half it to 250kb, 100 kb is to small to see any detail. can I suspect that energymatters.com.au is using a cheap name server and Energy-mc2 Pty Ltd (registered in Victoria AU ) and has out sourced this domain hosting to Vancouver WA, US. not using our Australian hosting companies. the server being to small to handle the traffic??
jackatwo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby jackatwo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:37 am

@Andrew
I see you used a buzz bar to carry / split the power, do you have any loss of power doing this? also with the buzz bar and using aluminum what power loss or any is there?
I used 10mm X 35mm aluminum to join the batteries up, it was much cheaper than using the cable and parts
I love the idea of the meter box and have been trying to get one of them for ages. they are so handy and it tells you what your saving. pity I am now glad you did a closeup to read in detail the meter.

Tell you what that inverter is not going to fall off the wall in a hurry, he he he
is there a earth wire from the case of the inverter to earth? I did not see one??
jackatwo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance