Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Postby Warpspeed » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:42 am

Most of the toroids around are powdered iron not ferrite, and there are a huge number of grades of powdered iron with some very widely different characteristics.
Its a pretty hit or miss experiment if you have no idea what the toroid material is, it would be all too easy to form some wrong conclusions.

At least with gapped ferrite you can experiment with the air gap, and be reasonably certain of what is going on.
Anyhow lets see what happens.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:24 am

Hi warpspeed, I have a couple of ferrite toroids lying around one 300watt one and a tiny one maybe one and a half inches across.

Main thing I need to know is where on the old style powerstars I need to put this choke if I make it up? Mind you these powerstars are currently in service (scuse the pun).

I can drop one from service for a little while without being majorly painful.

Regards.

Graham.
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby oztules » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:55 am

just place it is series with the primary of the transformers... ie where the transformer primary bolts to the heat sink on the power board... either one of them. ( 10mm hex bolts )

.................oztules
"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
oztules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby oztules » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:22 pm

actually 6mm bolts with 10mm heads..... duh

The problem of the unit over voltaging when charging from a pwm style power source can be over come by winding a small air coil of say 200 turns of .4mm enamel wire on a 13mm paper former. This replaces the diode on the feed from the power board to the control card.

It gets rid of spurious spikes that the filter cap would capture and keep, and the chip would strobe and mess up the voltage calculation.

........oztules
"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
oztules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby markhead » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:21 am

65mm ECORE UPDATE
Ordered mine ex Farnell the other day and the box arrived and packaged fine- only thing is the TWO SETS I wanted arrived as two- It seems Farnell dont sell these things IN PAIRS they sell them SINGLY so the price is doubled so now the ebay version is the most economic way to go- Farnell [Element 14] freight is not particularly cheap- however these were well packaged -came from UK and took 3 weeks to get here. Not happy with what happened, and while the way the ad was worded is passable it is misleading and I rang them up and told them so. Anyway, this is what this post is all about- FARNELL SELLS THEIR ECORES SINGLY NOT IN PAIRS. BE WARNED
Cheers. Mark
markhead
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby brucedownunder » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:11 pm

the epoxied together broken 65mm  E  Ferrite core 001.JPG

The Epoxy seems to have been successfull ,so far, give it a few more days to harden though,before placing any stress with windings on it.

The Chinese crowd were nice , offering money back or a replacement , so I'll get the replacement incase this fella parts company with the Epoxy..

Hope the pic comes out OK .

Bruce
brucedownunder
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Warpspeed » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:30 pm

Ferrite epoxies up really well, my exerience is that it will be a permanent fix.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Hey Bruce, just incase this glue does let go In tThe future, there is a product called "Q Bond" it is quite amazing, comes with a metal and a plastic build material.... Not cheap but I will swear by it for almost all serious sticking jobs....

My nephew is going to help me experiment with one of my powerstars on Sunday night.... So if you do your tests earlier, can you please give me a call or an email or a pm ASAP so I can avoid mucking around if there is no real gain.(I honk you still have my contact details from the old days if not just pm me and I will give you my contact details)... Kindest regards....

Oh and I look forward to seeing the results....

On another matter, how can these new inverters have two 5kva toroids of such good quality (as they claim to be) when buying a single 5kva one in Australia is over a thousand dollars? Do we really pay that much more here than elsewhere?

G.
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby brucedownunder » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi Graham ,, This Epoxy set really well ,,sort got sucked into the ferrite material -I smeared both faces and then just finger pressed those pieces together on a flat surface,,worked well and aligned up nicely..

Sunday night,,I might get some tests done before ,but doubt it,I'm a slow worker these days ,,either a mowing job ,wind gennie job or solar job ,,in a normal day ,but by lunchtime , I'm fairly tired ,.

We'll see how I go ..

The cost of things here in Oz ---- well, you really got to ask yourself how much do these "things" actually cost? Remember, the indians,Chinese, Asians ,, really get a fraction of what Australian workers get .

So ,there's your answer. I used to pay $4 per day for my labourers in PNG in 1980 ,,I was on $1000 per week .. So work it out ,ol mate.

Bruce.
brucedownunder
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Hmmmmm and there is the moral dilemma.... Ok sounds like cheap Taiwanese is the way to go... To sum up using one of Bugs Bunny's lines.... Ain't I a stinker?

G.
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance