Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Postby astro_optics » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:16 am

HI Oztules,

would you by any chance have the pic of the 50V caps that blew up and you replaced?
I can see a whole lot of small 50V caps on the controller board but not quite sure which ones to replace?

Thanks!
Attachments
DSCN1683_640.JPG
Controller Board on PowerJack LF 6000W 48V
astro_optics
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:29 am

Thanks John, Bruce and co.

I am keen to know if this will work. I will order the ecores....

I wonder mr warp speed, I see you have experience here... I recall that Andrew in Adelaide modified my friends one but he whacked in a thumping great toroid, I did not have a grand to spare at the time so I just waited....

I recall he also put a toroid choke (I think as a prefilter) or. Similar like you guys are using the ecore.

I would be interested in Andrews comments on the likelihood that this will work and Bruce especially my ours as I know you have the same type that I have lying around... Note mine are the 24 volt ones but that is just a wire gauge issue I presume.. Btw I am a retired programmer not and electronics technician..... So..... I can tell the machine what to do, but unfortunately it won't listen as it is not running an interpreter.. Hehehe.

The long and the short of that is that if it works (Bruce) then I would need exact and explicit instructions as to what to do to mine.....

All help every gratefully received.....

Graham
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby brucedownunder » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi Crew ,, the postman came today and delivered me 17 pieces of "e' core ferrite. yep,, lots of little pieces of dark grey solid stuff that was originally an "E" core when it left China .

Bugger,, anyhow , have been sitting here for two hours trying to resize a pic of it ,,but have given up as my pacemaker is getting hot ,lol. Any help with re-sizing would be greatly appreciated.

out of here, more ice required for the pacemaker.

Bruce
brucedownunder
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby brucedownunder » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:49 pm

Ferrite-bits.JPG
brucedownunder
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Warpspeed » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:05 pm

brucedownunder wrote:Hi Crew ,, the postman came today and delivered me 17 pieces of "e' core ferrite. yep,, lots of little pieces of dark grey solid stuff that was originally an "E" core when it left China .

Bugger,, anyhow , have been sitting here for two hours trying to resize a pic of it ,,but have given up as my pacemaker is getting hot ,lol. Any help with re-sizing would be greatly appreciated.

out of here, more ice required for the pacemaker.

Bruce

All is not lost my friend.
Epoxy the broken fragments back together, it will work just fine.

This dc choke needs an air gap anyway, and a bit of epoxy "goo" is not going to effect the final outcome.
Put Humpty Dumpty back together again, and use a bit of cardboard as an air gap as previously suggested, and nobody will ever know.

P.S.
I am a clumsy bastard with a very unforgiving concrete floor in my electronic workshop, and have had to resort to doing this myself in the past. Always works !
Absolutely guaranteed to work.
Last edited by Warpspeed on Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi Bruce, I think you may be mistaken, this is not a broken ecore..... It is a "do it yourself" ecore.... Did they send the glue as well? If not you may be able to get a refund... Heheheh. :D

Presume this means you can't test the old powerstars?

G.
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby brucedownunder » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:13 pm

A big "Thank You" to Gordon ,, he fixed my "resizing" ,of my pic.

Graham and Warpspeed,and Gordon , along with the crew , yep, I've ordered another ,so it will be 2-3 weeks .I guess.

OK, I've used some "Bostick" titanbond on the pieces and she looks like she'll hold together with a lot of care .. I'll make a wood former and wind , hammer, the big fella cable around that before transferring it to the repaired core ... A bit of insulation tape around the whole thing and she should be good for a test.

Thanks Crew,

Bruce.
brucedownunder
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:32 am

Chaps, will a toroid work just as well as the ecore you guys speak of? If so I may be able to test one of the powerstars!

Regards.
G.
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Warpspeed » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:10 am

What sort of toroid, what material, what size ?
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby oztules » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:22 am

For testing just the idle currents, we need only wind our filter for about 5 amps max.... any thing we do to quell the harmonics will probably get the idle current down not up.

So whatever torroid ( ferrite) you harvest from an old power supply will do for testing , just using hook up wire.

You cannnot put it under real load or it will vaporise your thin wire, but it will be very easy to adjust turns to see a difference.... when we see a difference more turns better or more turns worse etc, we are in a position to start to move forward.

This will show if the filtering makes a difference to the current... then more decisions.

It ( the core ) will be fine Bruce, it is whether it will slow up the current in the big E-I transformers.

We know it does in the torroids.

Astro, the one at the bottom left between the little tranny and the big resistor

.....oztules
"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
oztules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance