Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Postby Solar@wind » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 am

Thanks Jim

have sent request and if they can also supply boards for my W7 .

thanks,

Bruce
Solar@wind
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Solar@wind » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:52 pm

Ok Jim,

Candy replied .

The cost is $330 use for a 6Kw toroidal model ,which she states is their latest model. It probably is a late model inverter based on the powerstar W7 model -it weighs at approx 40 Kg ,so very heavy ,I think the old powerstarW7 were 26 Kg from memory-so something is quite different inside.

She is now calculating transport costs and will reply next week ,I suppose.
I guess I will have to pay GST somewhere along the way ,I guess they have a way of working that out with their transport carrier-we'll see.

Thanks for you help

Bruce
Solar@wind
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Jimbo007 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:35 pm

G'day Bruce,
glad to be of help. You won't be dissapointed, if anything you'll be impressed.
Yes, the latest model is the one. Don't forget to walk through the programming and verify settings before you connect to the load !
hopefully, yours doesn't get the same treatment in transport as my last one did.
You will be able to track delivery through the Alibaba app.
I didn't have to pay customs or GST last time. I believe that's all sorted by Alibaba. The first time I placed an order a few years ago, I did have to pay customs but that was a bigger order.
Regards,
Jim.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Yunak » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:34 pm

Hi Jim, So glad to see that this forum is still going and that you are still involved.
It must be two years since I last posted. I was having problems with my PSW7 24v 3000w control board, in particular getting the correct one for my machine and finally adapting one of the two boards supplied by remotely starting the inverter on demand via a programmable timer and relays. Just so that the bore pump could water the grass in my abscence from my property 500km south.
It has been performing a required since then. Back to present . The the sepparate RAPS System in the house on the propertyuses a TRACE DR2424 Series Inverter/Charger, I bought it from my neighbour when he upgraded to a pure sine wave so that he could run his bread maker. The trace has been performing as required but as it is now 23 years old I thought it was prudent to have a stand by JIC. Without reading your post I purchased a BIT with toroid tranny it is the 4000W/12000W 24volt model and comes with the very detailed User Manual. I will install it next January 2020 when the Trace clicks up 23 years. The Trace will go up to the shed as will the Panels and PL20 controller etc. I have also obtained A PL40 controller, the Plasmatronics controllers I have found do fit the bill. The 8 off 80W panels at the house I bought in 2006 they were the best I could get as the whole of that years production (Australian) was purchaced by Germany. The panels were over $600 each !, the 4 off 200W panels I have for replacement cost me $79.99 each, how the price of panels has come down over the years. Any how good to see the PW7 section of the forum is still going, and you are still helping out, keep up the good work and I will report on the "new" inverter next January.
Yunak
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Jimbo007 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi Yunak,
Just wondering if you've commissioned the new inverter yet?
I've consumed around 2500 Kw/h through my 6Kw unit and it hasn't missed a beat.
Another friend had me set up an identical system for him on a property remote from the grid.
He has tried to abuse it running a 2HP lathe, powering his home including a 1.5 HP A/C, and charging a scissor lift with it.
It just keeps on delivering and has never overheated or given any kind of alarm.
Just curious.
regards Jim.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Yunak » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi Jim,
Having reached the ripe old age of 82 I have been banned from climbing on roofs and also from doing the 1000km round trip on my own. So No I have not commissioned the BIT inverter yet.
I managed a week at the property over the New Year break and my youngest Son-in-Law and youngest grandson, swapped the panels over for me and I installed the PL40 and took delivery the new battery bank, 24v 900Ahr gel batteries. I should get the inverter in next visit with eldest S-I-L at Easter in time for the winter when I will earn Brownie points with an electric blanket on my wife's side of the bed.
Since I last corresponded with you I was given a u/s Solar Energy Australia inverter, it has half a dozen blown mosfets and I can detect a small blister on one of th ICs. I enquired with Solar Energy Australia for replacement parts, which they did have in stock, but when i asked for price etc for me to get the install done over here in the West I was ignored. The inverter is a SEAP-24-2K2, it is a 24Vdc input, 2200W continuous 240 volt out put. It is about 20years old.
It has a very nice Toroid in it, weighs a lot but some one on the forum may be interested in it.
Keep well will let you know how the BIT installation goes after Easter.
Regards Yunak
Yunak
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Jimbo007 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:23 pm

Nice to hear from you.
Probably the only things worth keeping are the toroid for a rewind and the heatsink.
Sorry to hear about the restrictions imposed on you but I'm sure it's because they care.
These "PSW7's" are genuinely rated and won't raise a sweat at full continuous duty.
They don't seem to begin to alarm until you're about 10% above the specified rating and endure their surge rating for a good few seconds.
I reckon the manufacturers have thoroughly read and absorbed the information in this forum and owe the founders a ton of gratitude.
Keep on keeping on. Make use of your youthful relatives for the heavy work and teach then that which you have learnt. Knowledge is not knowledge unless it is shared.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Jimbo007 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:25 pm

PS.. I'm only twenty years behind you and hope I've still got the enthusiasm you have then. LOL.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby skylogger » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:52 am

Hi Jimbo007 and others, I have a 48v 6000w version of the PS7 that i took apart and shipped from australia to our holiday house in thailand. shipped the shell and pcbs in one box and each transformer in seperate boxes to meet the weight requirements. put it back together and its been running fine for a year. it has now started giving over temp warnings on occation and i noticed the dc fan was not running. i sprayed some 4d40 in the fan and with the help of an external fan, its working a bit but definately on the way out. I am trying to identify the fan so i can source a replacement. it has three wires black,yellow,red, so i assume the yellow is the tacho line. Jimboo007 told me the fan voltage on other model, but can anyone confirm what voltage the fan is in a 48v model? i tried measuring the voltage on the pcb connector while the fan was plugged in but just got an oscillating reading. probably because i was reading during the time the fan was not activly driven, and the external fan i am using is causing the internal fan to spin and act like a small generator producing the oscillating voltage. I also have a second problem, the negative chassie mount 8mm stud battery terminal cracked, and shorted to chassie, lucky only poping the fuse to the battery. i've temporarily removed the terminal, and ran the battery cable though the hole and bolted to the internal bus bar directly, until i can find a replacement terminal. So if anyone knows how to find a source to purchase the chassie mount battery terminals i am also interested in that. since i have it running at the moment (with help from external fan) i dont want to move it around much and risk shorting out the temporary fix i did for the negative battery connection. i could not see anything printed on fan in center to tell what voltage it is.
skylogger
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Solar@wind » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:57 am

Hi Skylogger.

I have the same model -

It's party dismantled on my workbench ,so I just had a look and the REAR fan is 240 volts . The FRONT fan(the one you are enquiring about) , is /has the three coloured wires, yellow being for the status. It's covered up ,the centre place where there may be an identification/voltage sticker. I'd have to remove the two main PCB's and heatsinks to check it out ? .So, sorry, but I'd guess it's probably 48 volts -maybe .?

Mine possibly needs either a replacement board or replacement mosfets,????. I don't know ,either does any of my tech. mates who have looked at it . It got an induced lightning strike(because there is a medium size scorch /black'power mark on steelwork that the inverter was bolted to -nothing else is disfigured, it comes on for a few seconds trying to kick in ,but then dies ? .. So, for the last couple years it has just sit there ,waiting for some replacement cards ,but nothing has taken my eye on the internets far.

Your red positive terminal, dunno, if you can secure it firmly, then silicon it together or a glue that actually glue's that type of plastic ,and keep it secured...I've NEVER seen those terminals on the internet ,and I've looked at thousands of parts, almost every week.

Ok ,my friend ,I'll post you the info if I dismantle this W7 further. In the meantime ,someone out there in OZ may have a w7 48volt job that they will sell to me(Gold Coast)??? for the working parts ,and I'll send you the fan and terminal.

Regards

Bruce
Solar@wind
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance