Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Powerstar W7 Inverter Transformer

Postby Tracker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:05 pm

INSPIRE 2.5kW GCI

Is there a market for dead ones - given the value of the Torroidal Transformer.... :-)
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Postby Jimbo007 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Do you have some ?
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Solar@wind » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:08 am

Yes, the ring type heavy transformer in these solar controllers/inverters. are very handy and in demand by the makers of DIY inverters . Look up "thebackshed" forum under the topic of "electronics" to find the posts associated with building and using the :Toridial (can't spell) type transformers , and Yes, there are guys that want to buy them .( I'm around the Gold Coast ,if thats handy to you ,if you are selling )

Bruce
Solar@wind
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:06 pm

They could be quite handy for making a battery charger too.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Jimbo007 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:58 pm

I don't know if anyone still reads posts here but thought I'd post an update to my experiences with the Chinese produced W7 inverter.
It seems I've been forced to upgrade as every time I buy one of these, a friend sees it and needs it more urgently than me.
The latest version with toroidal transformer is a significant improvement on past versions.
Every parameter except input voltage, is selectable through the front panel. All charge and battery voltage settings are adjustable. Even the preselectable battery types can be adjusted to suite your particular battery variance. A comprehensive programming table is included in the ample instruction book, not just a leaflet.
Output voltage is selectable in steps of 10 volts.
Mode of operation is selectable, ie battery priority.
The unit also has generator start switching and after verifying the suitabilty of the supply, ramps up the charging to the user programmed setting without tripping the generator.
The price is incredibly reasonable at less tha $400 US. unfortunately the freight is slightly dearer than the unit itself but delivery can be as fast as ten days.
This unit is bullet proof (maybe even literally ), this was for the 6Kw continuous 48 volt unit. They don't make any outlandish claims about performance and in fact understate it.
At this price, only an idiot would look at a modified sine wave inverter, even those that claim to be pure sine wave, with a life of only a couple of years versus this one.
The only downside is the weight at 43 odd Kg but you know your getting your moneys worth.
A few sellers on Alibaba are selling these now and it makes sense to buy through Alibaba for buyer protection should any problems or descrepancies arise.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Solar@wind » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:02 am

Thanks for the update, Jimbo.

It seems that they listened to some of the guys on the "backshed" forum , good for them .

I have a W7 in perfect condition ,that got an "induced" (I reckon) , lightning splat. The front lights come on for a few seconds and then it closes down.

I'll take another look at the 48 volt range ,post a link to anything you think would be worth while considering ,there seems to be a lot of "off-Grid" type types with charging facilities in them ,but I'd be interested in the non-charging types as solar is very reliable up here in Old .

Thanks for the info ,got me interested..

Bruce
Solar@wind
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Jimbo007 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:55 pm

Greetings Bruce,

I purchased from the same supplier each time, Shenzhen Sunray Power company.
My last order number was 10536715001021694. They could look this up to see details of specification. Apparently you can also get other options including solar charge controller built in so they have come a long way. Be sure you specify the latest model with toroidal transformer. From memory, the unloaded current draw in operating mode was about 0.8 amps for the 6Kw unit.
You may also be able to get a spare set of boards for your failed inverter to repair as a backup. I bought a few different sets a few years ago for experimentation. they were under $200US a complete set.
There was a problem with transport of the last unit I puchased, the transport people dropped it causing a fan inside to be broken. A local replacement was bought from a Jaycar store and the fan guard was moved from inside the case to the outside giving a couple of mm more clearance inside.
This unit has performed faultlessly on a friends property ever since. He is over the moon with its performance, it has no fluctuations with changing loads and he's since installed a 1.5 HP airconditioner.
It even runs his workshop which Has a rather large lathe !

Feel free to contact me if I can help you further.
Regards.
Jim.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Solar@wind » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks Jim ,

Thats given me a bit of encouragement with Powerstar ,as all I've heard in the past is negative comments..

I tried for half an hour to get into one of their selling sites , but no luck as my sons e-mail kept coming up and an old one at that ,so I was sort of blocked .

If you have a site link ,that would help me check out the products. I'm especially interested in the Torodial transformer type ,but only a few of us actually know what that is ??.

Thanks again ,Jim.

Bruce
Solar@wind
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Jimbo007 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Bruce,
The company is:
ShenZhen Sunray Power company,
Contact person is Candy Zhan.
+8618898727546 via whatsapp
Email: candyzhan@sunrayups.com

Suggest you create your own Alibaba account from scratch.
Jim
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Solar@wind » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 am

Thanks Jim

have sent request and if they can also supply boards for my W7 .

thanks,

Bruce
Solar@wind
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance