New off grid home

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: New off grid home

Postby jimbo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:15 am

Have you played around with different end amps with new setup?
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:36 am

No, It's a 1330AH flooded lead acid battery so I don't see much need to go any lower than 14.5A. That's just over 1% of capacity.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jimbo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:45 am

Ok cool, I found 1% to be a little high for my 1600amp flooded and have them set at 8 amps with no load which added a bit more time to the absorb (assuming my amps are correct)
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:53 am

So why did you think 1% was to high, did you take SG reading and find it was't full using 1% ?

My SG reading are always where the manufacture considers full 2.65 even first thing in the morning at there lowest SOC so I have just ignored them. :lol:

Dam lead acids, give me lithium any day then I can put all this voodoo black magic rubbish, theory's - rules to bed.1/2 the time I dont even think the lead acid manufactures them self know what there cells should/ shouldn't be doing. lithium's are so much more simple and easy going.

ps, I just took another set of cotton shorts off the washing line to discover nice little brown acid burn marks all over them :oops: no matter how careful you are. Not to think about what the fumes are doing to your lungs and anything near the battery's. That silly tree snake that lives in the power room must be getting a nice fume bath every day can be good for him.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jimbo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:03 am

Ha ha i never got clear answers from the manufactures either. My amps are just based on the current going into the batteries tapering off and finding where it flat lines and setting it there or just above. When it was set a little higher the amps used on float were higher but after an hour or so they would also drop
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:11 am

Ok much the same as I did about a year ago. Just sat there watching them until they didn't drop any more.

I might be able to push a tad more out of mine and the amps might get a bit under the 1% but for a almost 5 year old pack I think its ok where it is.

I only need to make them last 3 more years (they will be 8 years old then) Then we will be living there full time until and we will switch to lithium's.

That's if the terminal posts don't corrode to dust they are looking reasonably sick but I just cant be bothered trying to do anything with them as its a lost cause.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jimbo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:19 am

Haven't had an issues with mine YET but who knows as they were severely over charged for 4 years.
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:06 pm

My lead perform fine, capaciry is fine and with our light over night loads they always have strong voltage over night 51v all night. So they are doing the job they are intended for (provide energy to power then inverter) they are doing fine. Just phisicaly the currosion / diteriation of the terminal posts could end up putting them out of survace early.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Cherokee Solar » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:35 am

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the update. I always learn heaps here.

51v is full state of charge for lead acid (well into the evening), but I'm assuming the chemical reactions haven't settled down in your batteries from the charging process (they need at least 6 hours).

Most mornings here with minimal overnight usage the batteries are at 25.4v (50.8v for you).

But if I use 5% to 10% of the charge, the voltage will sit somewhere from 25.0v to 25.4v (50.0v to 50.8v for you).

There seems to be quite a steep drop in voltage with lead acid batteries between 100% state of charge and 90% state of charge.

It all seems very consistent and they get to 100% state of charge most days.

Glad to see that you are getting good data now.
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:14 pm

The voltages you have listed under different conditions sound very similar to my packs behavior. Mine switched from 51v to 50.9v at 9pm tonight and will be 50.8v at 4:00am tomorrow. Same as yesterday it's reasonably consistent unless you put big loads on .

This is pack voltage under load, not sure what the voltage is with my big inverter off and all the small idle loads so I was guessing 51v but if that's 100% full then it would have to be a tad less .some where between 50.9,50.8 and 51v . My point was it's behaving like a reasonably healthy pack .
Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance