Woodstove flue adjacent to solar array?

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Woodstove flue adjacent to solar array?

Postby relaxedcamper » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:28 am

Hi, we have a similar installation as the OP. We thought about where our 'weather' was coming from over winter and calculated that the winter winds in our area came from the West and blew to the East. This was confirmed by looking at chimney's of fire places in our area with similar roof orientation and height above ridge line.

On closer inspection we noticed a definite darkening/staining of the East side of the chimneys from the top cone down. This confirmed in our minds that a chimney causes a vortex effect that causes smoke to swirl on the East side and cool/stick to the outside of the chimney. We also have obvious small carbon deposits on the roof on the East side. Our panels are installed on the West side of the chimney at 1500mm away. The chimney sits 100mm lower than the top left hand corner of the array and 1500mm to the arrays East. We calculated shadows cast from the chimney over winter and controlled the overall height to prevent this from happening. We have no shadow issues with this installation. Our North facing roof if just slightle orientrated just west of north by a few degrees.

So I guess have a look at local smoke stacks and see if you can see which side is more stained, and perhaps this will help you determine your local predominate wind directions over winter.
Network = POWERCOR - Retailer = ORIGIN - 11 Sharp 180w Panels NUSOE3E - Fronius IG 20 IP45 Inverter - 1.98KW Grid Interactive System - DUX SunPro 415L 3 Flat Panels Solar Hot Water - 26,600 Lts Rain Water - 8 Chooks - North of Geelong Victoria
relaxedcamper
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Cherokee Solar » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi.

I have a similar situation with a flue to the NW of four 180w panels and have as yet noticed no problems with either ash, breakdown in the aluminium or over shadowing.

However, I'd suggest you burn only dry seasoned hardwood (12 to 24 months). The reason for this is that it substantially reduces the smoke from your wood fire. When the fire is started it should smoke for a bit, but when it is running hot there should be very little smoke at all out of the flue. It takes quite a bit of energy to heat the flue to ensure that there are no deposits building up in there.

If it's still smoking after say, an hour, then your timber is too wet. This is a problem because you will be depositing creosote inside your flue and onto your roof (which may also be used for collecting drinking water as we do). This will eventually clog your flue and in a worst case scenario can lead to a house fire.

Dry the timber out by leaving a couple of days (about 3 days worth) supply inside your house next to the fire box (assuming it is not an open fireplace which can also be a fire hazard).

Good luck!
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:37 pm

I was just looking over our new house build plans and trying to see if I had the same issue.

After owning a few slow combustion heaters and dealing with maintaining a 100% reliable water tight seal on the flue. From what I have learned having the flue/ flashing as close to the ridge capping as you can is best.

Ultimately having the flue flashing tucked under the ridge cap and scribed in (iron roof) This way the total collected water is only the 200m of ridge cap on the high side. installing the flue on the low side of a roof you have the entire roof length to collect water and pool it up in front of the flue.

I never noticed any fallout issues on my panels. If your in the southern states winter = wood heater time and winter = rain at reasonably regular intervals so the panels would be getting a wash down.

I'm leaning to wards no panels on my house roof as I found PV on a homes roof creates a house that can never be shaded by trees. I'm going to sacrifice the shed to being a shade free zone that is baked in summer. ;)
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Cherokee Solar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi Kurt,

Long time! Hope you are well and the Nissan Leaf is going strong. I often wonder about that machine and its performance.

Exactly. House roofs are rarely designed with PV in mind. I get around the heat and cold problem by having R6.0 insulation in the roof. ;)

Chris
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:29 pm

I have had to lay low on the renewable house project as we have wasted the last 7 months of our life on the design and approval prosses. local council are the biggest hold up but looks like it get the go ahead very soon.

The Mitsubishi Imiev has been going great to date I still haven't spent a cent on maintenance other than a set of tyres. it's been getting a hammering in SA clocking up around 400 - 500km a week as out temporary accommodation is not near the school. Resulting in a drive up the range two times a day.

I Just had the insurance renewed the other day they gave me a value of between 18k - 24k I picked 18k considering we payed 24k for it in 2013 it's been the least depreciated brand new car I have purchased....perhaps I should park it under a tree next time its windy :lol:

Consumption is still around 130whr - km from the wall all charging losses included. 13kwh - 100km. $2.60 - electricity cost 100km off peak at the moment. Equivalent to 1.9lt 100km at $1.35lt petrol costs. :cry: way more fun charging it for free of solar :D
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:27 am

i have that woodfire flue 30 years on the roof and an alluminum hot water panel with no adverse effects to the alluminium. (incidentally the flushing is tucked in under the ridge capping. puddling water further down the roof on the hat shouldn't a be a problem. ash should not come out of the wood stove. personally i am against slow combusting. it creates a lot of creosote and unburned gases. the fire burns best in a very hot mode.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Components, Installation And Performance