small 240v kettle under 1600w

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: small 240v kettle under 1600w

Postby andarm » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:00 pm

I was talking a loss of a few hundred watts as distinct to a few hundred watt hours of energy.

It takes 24.7 watthours to heat 250ml of water from 15 to 100 degrees.
That is using purely resistive heating i.e. no losses from a magnetron etc.
The difference between your figure and this figure is the "inefficiency" of the microwave.
This shows your microwaves input power is around 1482 watts if it's output is 1100 watts.
(Will just have to check these figures)
andarm
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:24 pm

Bthree wrote:So 1300w divided by 60 = 22watts .... multiplied by 2 = 44 watts

Not quite, it is 1300watts, for 2 minutes.
That would be 43.3 (44 rounded up) watt hours, or 0.043kWh... assuming you are on full power with the magnetron running the whole time.
However, our microwave has an output of 1150W, but an input of 1700W, so the amount of energy used will probably be a bit more than 44Wh in an 1100W microwave.

44 watts is an instantaous quantity ie a rate of useage, not the amount of energy used (rate X time).

Gordon
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby ianm » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:56 am

Joey, where are these ECo Kettles available from & at what cost.

Regards ianm
ianm
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Joey » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:01 pm

ianm wrote:Joey, where are these ECo Kettles available from & at what cost.

Regards ianm

Hope this isn't against forum rules http://www.neco.com.au/eco-kettle-2200w
Joey
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Sandivee » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:21 pm

I dont think there is too much to these kettle issues.

It is, in any case going to take a minimum amount on energy required to heat water.

When talking about stupid inefficiencies I do not understand how this ECO kettle can save energy.

You still put in the same amount of water and same amount of energy to heat the water + inefficiencies.

I think the key is to make sure you have enough water to cover the element and / or make sure you only heat what you will use. You don't need to go and pay $70 for a 'ECO' kettle when a $20 kettle WILL do the same thing, just look inside.

The only other thing that may make a significant saving is the insulation of the kettle, heat will be lost from tank and will take those extra few seconds to heat water to compensate for this loss.
Australian LED Lighting Solutions
http://www.LightingMatters.com.au
Sandivee
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Postby Joey » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:06 am

Sandivee ,

It's a fact that 99% of people fill up a kettle with way more water than they need to boil , most never take the time to look inside and cover the element so there is just enough water for a cuppa .
Us energy conscious people might go to the extra effort but simply most people cant be bothered and waste heaps of energy boiling water they don't use.

The Eco kettle combines water storage ( a cold chamber ) and a boiling chamber where you can simply push the button on the top to transfer water from the storage section to the boiling section.

If you cant work out how much saving there is only boiling the water you need vs half a kettle each time someone wants a cup of coffee , anything I say isn't going to help you.
Joey
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:10 am

Joey wrote:... most never take the time to look inside and cover the element so there is just enough water for a cuppa .

True, but no need to do that every time, just put the amount of water you need in your cup(s) as a measure of the exact amount, then put that water into the kettle. You only need to check that it is enough to cover the element the first time you do it.

Gordon
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Sandivee » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:45 am

Why would I spend $70 on a kettle when I can get the same thing out of a $20 kettle if I was really that aware of how much energy I use I wouldn't need this ECO kettle crap.

IT IS A RIP OFF! WoW! it has 2 chambers, you are still going to need to know how much water you need.
Australian LED Lighting Solutions
http://www.LightingMatters.com.au
Sandivee
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Postby Joey » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:00 pm

Sandivee wrote:Why would I spend $70 on a kettle when I can get the same thing out of a $20 kettle if I was really that aware of how much energy I use I wouldn't need this ECO kettle crap.

IT IS A RIP OFF! WoW! it has 2 chambers, you are still going to need to know how much water you need.

I really got sick of replacing ordinary kettles and every customer that come into my shop would fill the kettle to the top and boil it just for one cup.
Now they know to push the button on top of the eco kettle which has ml marked on the storage chamber and how many cups you want to boil on the bottom chamber.

Your right you are still going to know how much water you need , there is a picture on boiling chamber of 1 cup , 2 cups etc , just push the button for how many you need.
Customers absolutely love it , many of them also have purchased them after using it , no complaints about the price and certainly not a single person has jumped up and said what a rip off , $70 is a lot cheaper than most of the designer kettles people are buying these days.

Just simply sharing my experience , Will probably buy a lot more to give to people for presents this year as well., like I mentioned earlier if EM sold them I would be buying there instead.
Joey
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Energy Efficiency