reuse cool air

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

reuse cool air

Postby built by bennett » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Hello there
I read with interest the thread on using sub floor air pumped into the ceiling space to cool the house. I was thinking of one step further, why not recycle the air, circulate from ceiling area down under the house, where it will cool, then return it to the roof, as a constant flow system, sort of on the same principal as a cars radiator.

Any thoughts guys. ;)
built by bennett
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: reuse cool air

Postby munter » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Air quality might be an issue. If you have fiberglass insulation or mould in some parts of the house it might not be a good idea to circulate it.
http://renovations08.blogspot.com/ - my energy efficiency blog
munter
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:47 pm

built by bennett wrote: why not recycle the air, circulate from ceiling area down under the house, where it will cool, then return it to the roof, as a constant flow system, sort of on the same principal as a cars radiator.

My only thought would be that within a short period of time, you would have warm air under the floor and not quite so hot air in the roof.
Most ceilings have insulation to prevent the heat from effecting room temperature.
Very few homes have insulation under the floor..
Will the now higher heat under the floor transmit faster to the rooms (Heat Rises) than the heat from the Roof-Space is conducted DOWN through the insulation to the ceilings?

Now there is another Under-Grad project in Engineering Thermo-Dynamics.... ! ;)

No -- I think that it would be better to fit a Whirly-Bird to the roof and Eves-Vents and just reduce the Roof Heat, but that is after you have covered the roof in PV panels, thus shading the tiles from direct sun..

We did go through all this many months ago, but I think the final outcome was to suggest that you might be able to manufacture a filter and a blower and perhaps blow some of the sub-floor cool air into a living area., with better ultimate benefit.

The only other suggestion that is really good is to convert a spare room into a drying room - sealed from the rest of the house and having an extraction fan to the outside wall... A tube to the roof cavity draws the hottest air to one end of the room and exhausts out the other end. You now have a highly efficient and low cost clothes drying room.. Make it a solar fan and the fan only runs when the sun shines and hence the roof is likely HOT...
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby built by bennett » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks guys, very interesting stuff
I was worried about the damp air issue
But the recirculation of the air I probably should have mentioned that there is at least 250 cubic metres of air space under the house which is enclosed, besser block) and about 60 cubic metres of air space in the roof area (cause the ceiling is in line with the roof) I dont know whether this might effect you opinion. Glen B :ugeek:
built by bennett
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby strjac7 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:28 pm

I don't think so, we can't circulate the air as much as easily to the first floor from ground floor. For water we can with normal pump but for air we need more power to push it to top and need to use good fiber pump or any other good material pump.
strjac7
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Living Green