I love cooler weather :)

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

I love cooler weather :)

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu May 06, 2010 8:37 pm

The weather has turned cooler with the cold front yesterday, which means increased output from the panels. Today my 2.19kW array produced 12.2kWh (429AH), the best output since late March, despite the hour of cloud between 11 and 12 this morning. Peak output for the day was 2.20kW in the morning. I deliberately used plenty of power to see what I could get from the panels- baked a loaf of bread, baked a cake, 2 runs of the dishwasher, and some metal cutting and welding. Keep in mind that I live in a deep valley, so I lose over 2 hours of sun each day.... worth another 2+kWh- note the cutoff @ ~3:40pm as the sun goes behind the trees/ridge. That 12.2kWh includes over 2 1/2 hours of absorption charging time, where the regulator is reducing the PV output to keep the batteries at a constant voltage, so a reduction of the maximum possible PV output.

Pyranometer plot for a flat surface today:

700W/m^2 at 11am is 1100W/m^2 for my tracking array, and with an air temp of 14C at the time, the panels were at mid 30sC (to the touch, didnt measure them), so not too far from STC conditions.

I've just forked out lots of $ for a data logger, so in the near future I hope to be able to produce plots of PV output with 1 or 2 sec resolution, as soon as I can build some shunts, to monitor PV and wind production, and inverter input (power consumption).
I might even have a go at producing some plots of fixed array vs tracked array output if I can get 2 consecutive (which these days seems to be called call back to back) cloudless days.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Components, Installation And Performance