17 cells vs 16

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: 17 cells vs 16

Postby dRdoS7 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:30 am

Hi,

australsolarier wrote:drdos7,
don't waste your money and time, just go 16 cells. there is a reason all the systems are 16 cells.

Already ordered 18. If it doesn't work out, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, I'll go to 16.

I don't see it as a wate of time or money. Still need a BMS, and cells. Time, I have plenty of. I hope.

and yes, the forum is dead, i do not get notification emails anymore

Thought it might be. Just wondered how the OP got on.

Thanks,

dRdoS7
"I've got an idea. Here, hold my beer."
dRdoS7
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby dRdoS7 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:15 am

Hi,

An update in case anybody is interested.

I've been running 18 x 280Ah cells in series since October 2020.

Midnite Classic and MPP 5kW inverter been running the whole house with no problems.

Haven't imported any power since November 2020. We went away on trips a few times, and I wasn't confident to leave the system running for the first month. This year we've been away twice, and I left it switched on. I did have a worry when I checked the Powercor web site, and saw a lot of imports one day, but that was after they'd done an upgrade to their site. Next day those imports were gone.

Occasionally there is a small import when the usage goes above the MPP inverter limit, but that's only for a few minutes.

I did make one mistake when building the pack, which is 2 rows of 9 cells. At the end of the first row, and the start of the second, the poles were at the outer edges of the 2 cells, so I had to use a cable. I will rearrange the cells one day and make a solid link or a short cable.

dRdoS7
"I've got an idea. Here, hold my beer."
dRdoS7
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:38 am

good to hear
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jimbo » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:38 pm

dRdoS7 wrote:Hi,

An update in case anybody is interested.

I've been running 18 x 280Ah cells in series since October 2020.

Midnite Classic and MPP 5kW inverter been running the whole house with no problems.

Haven't imported any power since November 2020. We went away on trips a few times, and I wasn't confident to leave the system running for the first month. This year we've been away twice, and I left it switched on. I did have a worry when I checked the Powercor web site, and saw a lot of imports one day, but that was after they'd done an upgrade to their site. Next day those imports were gone.

Occasionally there is a small import when the usage goes above the MPP inverter limit, but that's only for a few minutes.

I did make one mistake when building the pack, which is 2 rows of 9 cells. At the end of the first row, and the start of the second, the poles were at the outer edges of the 2 cells, so I had to use a cable. I will rearrange the cells one day and make a solid link or a short cable.

dRdoS7

I'm thinking of doing this in the near future as those 280ah cells are just so cheap.
Can you tell us what charge setting you used on the midnight classic? What BMS did you use?

Thanks
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Components, Installation And Performance