need info

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

need info

Postby BeeMee » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:57 am

Is Energymatters even running anymore? Wrote to them 6 - 12 months ago and never got an answer.
All the usual newsletters they used to send had stopped years ago, about the time this other klutz came on the scene. Kept sending me stuff to install solar, shows you how much they take time to look at records of former clients.

Anyway, my need help post.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-07/ ... s/12582776

I want to go 100% off grid, I already have a 5kW unit, 22 panels, but with this new idea of dictatorship, I want to go off the grid altogether, so how does one go about it? Read why above.

I know I am to have Battery storage with this idea, but did hear that you will still have to pay the Electrical Provider just for the privilege of it going past your door. Rip off merchants.
BeeMee
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: need info

Postby australsolarier » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:12 am

as for the electrical supply running past your house, there are two different disconnection ways:
1) disconnect: they take out the fuse, you keep on paying the connection charge, like when rebuilding the house or so.
2) abolish, they come and take out the meter and whatever and you are disconnected without daily charge. like you are not there at all. means however if reconnecting you might have to plant a power pole at the edge of the property with underground cable to the house.

this might be different where you are. i rung up the energy provider and that is what they told me.
as for help, there are thousands of youtube videos on that matter (batteries, installing solar, etc)
and yes this forum is basically dead since gordon was fired.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: need info

Postby dRdoS7 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:22 pm

Hi,

BeeMee wrote:I want to go 100% off grid, I already have a 5kW unit, 22 panels, but with this new idea of dictatorship, I want to go off the grid altogether, so how does one go about it? Read why above.

I know I am to have Battery storage with this idea, but did hear that you will still have to pay the Electrical Provider just for the privilege of it going past your door. Rip off merchants.

My first question: Are you in Victoria?

If so, second question: Do you have a Concession card?

If the answer to both of the above is "Yes", you don't need to get disconnected.Very handy if you're "off-grid", but still connected so you can export solar. Nice to have a back-up, in case you've under-designed your system, and/or it's a long COVID19 winter in lockdown. :lol:

In Victoria, if you have a Concession Card, and don't use electricity, you don't pay a Service to Property charge. If do use a bit, the StP is only equal to the amount charged for power. It's a rebate on the bill, so it shows the full StP, but is reduced by the amount that's over the power cost. Use $10 worth of electricity, pay $10 StP.

I only found out about it because we had been away most of a quarter in 2016 caravanning, and saw the rebate in the next bill. I think we already had our Concession registered for the Winter Energy Concession.

dRdoS7
"I've got an idea. Here, hold my beer."
dRdoS7
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Off topic chatter