Using Fork lift flooded cell lead acid batteries

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Using Fork lift flooded cell lead acid batteries

Postby Bthree » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:32 am

HI, all my off grid system AGM batteries have just about dead ( total of 400AH)
Been looking at using batteries from a fork lift 48Volt @ 620AH made into 24volt @ 1240 AH

I do realise they will have a little lower than listed AH but the forklift man say as long as the batteries are less than 6-7 years old they will do the job

Anyone got any thoughts on the use of these batteries, they work out quite cheap on the surface.
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Using Fork lift flooded cell lead acid batteries

Postby SandyP » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:48 pm

Bthree wrote:HI, all my off grid system AGM batteries have just about dead ( total of 400AH)
Been looking at using batteries from a fork lift 48Volt @ 620AH made into 24volt @ 1240 AH

I do realise they will have a little lower than listed AH but the forklift man say as long as the batteries are less than 6-7 years old they will do the job

Anyone got any thoughts on the use of these batteries, they work out quite cheap on the surface.

You will need to be careful as you really need to have more charging amps than you do at the moment (from your solar array) to ensure they get fully charged.
8 x Suntech 190W panels, FM60, VFX3024, Mate2, 12 x 2V 620Ah Hoppecke GEL OPzV batteries
SandyP
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Bthree » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:23 am

charging amps are restricted set in my midnite, not sure what I can feed in under full power from panels approx 60 amps possibly
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby SandyP » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:07 pm

Bthree wrote:charging amps are restricted set in my midnite, not sure what I can feed in under full power from panels approx 60 amps possibly

It is generally recommended that ideally your solar array be sized so that your charge controller(s) can output a peak charging current of around 10% of your battery banks total amp hour capacity.
In your case, if you went with the fork lift battery bank, you would then need to double the size of your solar array and add another 60amp charge controller.
Of course it depends on how much you draw down your battery bank overnight and the lowest drawdown you may see during a period of poor weather with little or no sun.
8 x Suntech 190W panels, FM60, VFX3024, Mate2, 12 x 2V 620Ah Hoppecke GEL OPzV batteries
SandyP
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Return to Components, Installation And Performance