Can I charge Lifepo4 with AGM-style controllers?

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Can I charge Lifepo4 with AGM-style controllers?

Postby oscill8tr » Sun May 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Hi there's a lot of lithitum batteries on the market now that present themselves as "drop in" replacements for lead acid batteries. However despite many google searches I really can't find anything confirming that they mesh flawlessly with all the old tech.

For example I want to drop in a lithium battery to small solar rig that uses a Victron PWM charge controller. Will that harm the battery in any way? I looked at the charge controller documentation and there's no mention of any of this.

I also have a jaycar-type battery charger (240v) that has a setting for both car batteries and AGM. Would this work ok with a Lifepo4?

As far as I know Lifepo4 comes with a BMS board inside. I can easily imagine that a good BMS makes the battery charge with the same parameters as an AGM SLA. But I don't any discussion about this.
oscill8tr
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Can I charge Lifepo4 with AGM-style controllers?

Postby australsolarier » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:28 am

glad you do not want any discussions.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Can I charge Lifepo4 with AGM-style controllers?

Postby dRdoS7 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:34 am

Hi,

oscill8tr wrote:Hi there's a lot of lithitum batteries on the market now that present themselves as "drop in" replacements for lead acid batteries. However despite many google searches I really can't find anything confirming that they mesh flawlessly with all the old tech.

For example I want to drop in a lithium battery to small solar rig that uses a Victron PWM charge controller. Will that harm the battery in any way? I looked at the charge controller documentation and there's no mention of any of this.

I also have a jaycar-type battery charger (240v) that has a setting for both car batteries and AGM. Would this work ok with a Lifepo4?

As far as I know Lifepo4 comes with a BMS board inside. I can easily imagine that a good BMS makes the battery charge with the same parameters as an AGM SLA. But I don't any discussion about this.

australsolarier wrote:glad you do not want any discussions.

OP hasn't actually said "want", it could be "see".

Anyway, in answer to his post, I have 2 x 100Ah "drop-in" LFP batteries in our caravan, and all 3 chargers (2 x AC-DC, and a DC-DC/MPPT are set to "AGM".

dRdoS7

PS. The BMS is purely for battery protection.
"I've got an idea. Here, hold my beer."
dRdoS7
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Components, Installation And Performance