Rural mobile phone signal strength

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Rural mobile phone signal strength

Postby jules » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:47 am

I live in reasonably hilly country which can be a hazard for 3G signals but up until early January this year reception was always good enough to send texts and usually good enough to maintain a voice call without interruption for the duration of a good length call.

BUT since January the signal strength has collapsed so that it's no longer possible to make voice calls and texts might send in the occasional moments when reception picks up. This equates to text message delays of up to several hours.

Telstra is being cagey about this. I've been told 5 times that the service will be repaired by a stipulated date, only to have nothing happen. More to the point perhaps, I've been told 3 times that the reason for the problem is that Telstra is upgrading to 5G. I don't know if this is true or not and I'm not excited about 5G given it has less ability to tackle hills than 3G. Telstra has been prepared to "adjust" my account, which is an admission of something but not a solution to the problem.

Has anyone else had recent experience of mobile phone signal downgrade in rural areas?
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter. Off grid for 30 years.

Spares; 5 x 12V, 1,000 Ah batteries plus a couple of regulators
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Rural mobile phone signal strength

Postby bpratt » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:09 pm

I believe a lot of 3G stuff was being decommissioned, but they tend not to tell you about it.
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Rural mobile phone signal strength

Postby jules » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:29 am

Thanks, seems like a fair chance of that. Telstra is happy to claim they're rolling out 5G but rolling back 3G while they're up the towers by adding dishes at the same time as removing dishes, makes economic sense.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter. Off grid for 30 years.

Spares; 5 x 12V, 1,000 Ah batteries plus a couple of regulators
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Off topic chatter