Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Postby skylogger » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:45 pm

Hi Bruce, Thank you for the info and offer. I rebuilt my W7 three years ago when i blew up the mosfet board, and it also took out the drivers on the controller pcb. I found a seller on allababa back then that sold the pair of pcb's for around AUD$200 including shipping cost. I'll look around on allababa and if they still sell, i'll pass the link to you. They would only sell the pcbs as a pair though.
skylogger
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Solar@wind » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:56 pm

Thanks Skylogger(luv that name ??--

Would be great to be able to get the Ol boy working again-actually , 15 years old and never been used for more than lights under the house ,ocassionally ,very very little use, still like brand new-OH , I forgot to say, I've done the conversion ,also ? -you know, the Torodial wound tranny and choke -with the help of this posting ,back around 10 years. (nick, may have been "brucedownunder" ,then.

OK ,thanks for looking for me ,I've tried, but no luck .

Bruce
Solar@wind
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Jimbo007 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:38 pm

Hi Skylogger,
You could mount a mains fan on the outside of the case directly in front of the low voltage fan ( keeping the low voltage fan for the tacho output ) and wire it directly to the mains. The resultant airflow would fool the electronics into operation.
You could try to fashion a new terminal using a few thicknesses of fibreglass PCB with the copper removed if you still have the old bolt arrangement. Even a piece of heavy bakelite or similar would suffice as long as it's an insulator and rigid.
Just a few ideas.
Jim.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby skylogger » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:39 pm

Hi Jim: just got back from Altronics and bought a 92mm 240v fan that I plan to mount at the DC end of the interver, but wire it parallel to the other 240v fan that is in the opposite end (AC end of the inverter). At least that way both fans will come on and cannel the air through the unit every time the unit is running and producing AC. Even though the original fan has the yellow wire and tacho function, I'm not sure that feature is used in the W7 Controller PCB. Before I put the external fan blowing into the unit as a temporary fix, The DC Fan was not spinning, and the unit would still power up and run, and would only error and alarm and shut down if I put a load on it and allowed it to heat up a bit. Since the new Altronics fan F1158 SUNON MA2092-HVL Has same mounting holes, maybe I can find some extra long bolts and keep the original DC Fan on the inside of the housing and the new AC fan on the outside of the housing using same bolts and mounting holes.

For the broken terminal, I might see if I can take some "JB WELD" with me. Its an epoxy mix that molds like clay, and can even be drilled out for the mounting holes once it sets. I've seen it hold chain saw housings together so its probably strong enough. Hope it sticks good to the central plastic, otherwise I'll have to replace the whole insulator section.

Just for your info, there is another company called www.sigineer.com in china that manufactures exact clones of the controller and mosfet pcbs for the W7. They have changed their policy now, and the down side is that they will only sell PCBs to people that have bought their original inverter from them. Besides the W7, I also have a bigger 8kva inverter made by this company, and the PCB is quite simular with all the same reference designators, just more components added. The bigger inverter uses different fans, but I might see if I can get a terminal though them as another option.
skylogger
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Solar@wind » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:24 pm

Nice to see Jim back with some feedback. Thanks Jim .

I did the same as Jim is talking about ,contacted sigengineer for help , but unfortunately, as Jim says, they only deal with customers that bought from them previously.. Pity, as our goal is really all the same ??.

I had a reply years ago from a forum guy here, that had a heap of w7 's as spares ,but at the time the price he wanted for the lot was beyond my budget-especially for something that had no guarantee of certainty in working for my particular fault(I was guessing the fault??).

Ok, I'll wait to see if any members find W7 's hidden away in their junk box??

Thanks,
Bruce
Solar@wind
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby porrascarlos80 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:37 am

Friends,

I have a powerstar w7 LF 24V

power save , 1.9A consumption , no load.
no power save 5A

any way to fix it, is it just replacing the main transformer no other ways?
porrascarlos80
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Jimbo007 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:47 am

You've got it.
The heavy current is the magnetising current of the inefficient EI core.
Replace it with a toroid and series choke will result in significant power saving and reduced heat.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Previous

Return to Components, Installation And Performance