New build solar options

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

New build solar options

Postby Tom99 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:27 pm

Hi all,
I've had a quick look at what's been posted before but not seen this subject.
That said if I missed a previous thread I apologise.

We are about to commence the build of our new modular house in Brisbane. The designer has indicated that there is space on the different roof sections for approx 55 panels.
The roofs vary in orientation (consisting of south, east and north) and are pitched at between 10 and 15 degrees facing the above directions.

Does anyone have any advise about what the best solar setup would be? Also, should I get a dedicated hot water solar system given the above?

I'm guessing that if I had all the panels and a big battery then I'd still be sending a lot of power back to the grid for little return.

Really appreciate any advice.

Cheers.

Tom
Tom99
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: New build solar options

Postby davef » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:40 pm

Tom,

If you are already on-grid I would suggest doing a ROI before getting batteries. Also, if you end up optimising your panels for maximum in the summer, ie mounting flat on the roof I think you need to know what your feed-in rewards are going to be throughout the year.

During cloudy weather panels on the south facing roof at 10 degrees are probably going to give you about as much as on the other directions, which won't be much.

I am off-grid which is a different optimisation-game.

Good luck,
Dave
davef
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby dRdoS7 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:43 am

Hi,

Tom99 wrote:We are about to commence the build of our new modular house in Brisbane. The designer has indicated that there is space on the different roof sections for approx 55 panels.
The roofs vary in orientation (consisting of south, east and north) and are pitched at between 10 and 15 degrees facing the above directions.

Does anyone have any advise about what the best solar setup would be? Also, should I get a dedicated hot water solar system given the above?

I'm guessing that if I had all the panels and a big battery then I'd still be sending a lot of power back to the grid for little return.

I'd stick as much on the roof as possible. Lots of different directions has benefits. Have a read on on this forum about virtual tracking. Not sure about South facing ones in Brissie though (be better than in Christchurch!). Might be able to tilt them to the north, or east & west. There's a few sites where you can do simulation of your panels, see what suits. Get a battery in, there's more than payback time involved. You'll have power when others don't, and it will reduce you night-time usage. You will not have it in ready for this coming Apocalypse, but I'm sure there'll be another.

To be fair, I only put in batteries because I calculated it would pay me back in 10 years. But I like having my system. Soon the whole house will be supplied, not just the few circuits that I though were vital at the time.

With all those panels, you'll be able to run your HWS. Plus aircon.

Putting in a water tank too?

dRdoS7
"I've got an idea. Here, hold my beer."
dRdoS7
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tom99 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:58 am

Thanks folks.
Yep, 22,500l water tank.

I'll have a look for those simulators.
Tom99