How does it work the solar market in Australia?

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

How does it work the solar market in Australia?

Postby mateuslima » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:47 am

Good afternoon guys!

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Mateus Lima, I'm an Electrical Engineer currently working in the solar area and trying to learn more about the australian solar market.

Here in Brazil we have what we call "integrators". They are companies that works by offering the project, the approval within the local energy companies and the installation of the system, but the solar panels and inverters are bought from a few huge companies that imports loads of equipments.

One big problem that we have here is the lack of professionalism from the integrators. These huge companies provides everything that someone needs to start a business, from spreadsheets to dimension the systems to financing solutions, and because of that basically anyone can work in this area here and as a result, a lot of systems doesnt perform as it should be. Mistakes like not considering shading or angles are kind of common in here.

What I'm tring to understand is that if the business model in Australia is similar to ours and if you guys have this kind of problems that we have in here. I'd like to know if the access of the solar market is as easy as here and if it faces similar problems like the ones that I mentioned.

Thanks in advance guys!
mateuslima
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: How does it work the solar market in Australia?

Postby jaahn » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:25 am

Hi Mateuslima :D
I do not work in the market so perhaps some others may write some professional comments.

But I do not think there is the incentive to get anybody into supplying systems by the suppliers. however due to our low regulations on firms in business perhaps the result is the similar. There seem to be a lot of poor quality businesses who have started up, advertised a lot to get customers and using low quality panels and unskilled fitters have put a lot of systems on roofs that have been useless. Then when the customers look for support the business has disappeared and cannot be held accountable. More bad information to bring down the reputation of solar.
That happened to a friend of mine, father. The system was useless after a couple of years. It was just taken off and replaced in less than 5 years. Close to the sea.
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: How does it work the solar market in Australia?

Postby mateuslima » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:10 am

jaahn wrote:Hi Mateuslima :D
I do not work in the market so perhaps some others may write some professional comments.

But I do not think there is the incentive to get anybody into supplying systems by the suppliers. however due to our low regulations on firms in business perhaps the result is the similar. There seem to be a lot of poor quality businesses who have started up, advertised a lot to get customers and using low quality panels and unskilled fitters have put a lot of systems on roofs that have been useless. Then when the customers look for support the business has disappeared and cannot be held accountable. More bad information to bring down the reputation of solar.
That happened to a friend of mine, father. The system was useless after a couple of years. It was just taken off and replaced in less than 5 years. Close to the sea.
Jaahn

Awesome, thanks for the tips Jaahn!!!

One more question guys, what do we need to work with solar projects in Australia. Do we need an exclusive course or being an electrical engineer is enough?

Thanks in advance!
mateuslima
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics