Plug in wind turbines...

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: Plug in wind turbines...

Postby mungus » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:54 am

Sorry typo on the pole size. Should be 1-7/8" (standard scaffold size).
mungus
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby conklinc » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:42 am

Sounds like ur going ahead with it? Best of luck! Like I said, my setting is not ideal, trees obstructing free flow of wind, BIG trees. I'm stuck with solar. Wind doesn't blow year round, but when it does it really blows. Not sure if the neighbors would appreciate the whop-whop. If I can figure out how to guy-wire the pole, I'll stick it up for winter an spring use. Reducing my daytime use of the grid means more $$ as I'm on the PFIT.

Be sure and let me/us know how this works out for u!

Curt
conklinc
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby mungus » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:33 am

Thanks Curt,

Hoping to get on to it this summer. $ dependent. Something always seems to come up when you've got kids and live on a farm!

Even if your installation isn't ideal it will still be a fun project, and its nice to know on a dark windy night, that you are still getting something...

A smaller unit like yours shouldn't be hard to fit I'd think. I actually did look at the Jaycar turbines, very nice little units I thought. When I put up my weather station on the top of my barn, I was also a bit put off by fitting a guy wire, but it turned out to be dead easy to do, with Bunnings having all the materials needed for little $. The small pole it was bolted to was bouncing around too much when it blew. All good now.

I decided to go for a bigger turbine (1.6 to 2 KW) simply because they are not that much bigger physically and can make a noticeable difference. If you view some of the MW&S YouTube videos (and some by users whove installed their systems), they're not very noisy. I guess to be fair I'm not so fussed as our barn is about 50M from our house, behind a row of trees, so we will neither see nor hear the thing. Everyone is in a different situation I guess.
mungus
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby dRdoS7 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:16 am

Hi,

Slightly off-topic, but:

mungus wrote:dumps the VIC 66c per KWH premium feed in tariff in 2024.

Have you had a look at other retailers? Amaysim offer 80c/kWh. They're 2nd on my "best" list. I'm on 78c from my retailer, but that will probably drop to 72c next year, so if AS still have 80c, I'll be changing.

Of course, your usage figures may not make it worthwhile.

dRdoS7
"I've got an idea. Here, hold my beer."
dRdoS7
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics