6kw inverter installed, company says they have made an error

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

6kw inverter installed, company says they have made an error

Postby Frosty262 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:42 am

Good morning all,

I had a 6.6kw system installed by Sunboost at the beginning of September. The system was supposed to have a 5kw inverter with 24 panels.

Last week I received a phone call from the installer advising that they had made a mistake and had installed a 6kw inverter by accident. I am happy with the system that has been installed, with the exception that I have been unable to connect it to my wifi, so I asked for a price just to keep the system as it was. A few days later I was given a price of $200 by Sunboost.

I paid the additional $200 fee via phone and I thought that would be the end of it. However, this morning I received another phone call from Sunboost who now advise that they need to install a export reduction device to the inverter as the application that they had made was for a 5kw export. They also advised that this device and the installation would be at my cost!

After refusing point blank to pay them anymore money for their mistake, they have agreed that they will not charge me for the device or installation.

My questions are;
a) What happens if I don't allow them to install the device?
b) Is it dangerous?
c) Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks in advance of any help you can give.
Frosty262
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: 6kw inverter installed, company says they have made an e

Postby jules » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:19 pm

Looks like something for Consumer protection.

If you'd asked them to install a 6kW inverter it would be your problem but you didn't. Do you have records to prove that?

They put in a system that doesn't comply with the relevant standards ... makes it their problem

What exactly were you supposed to get for your $200?

I don't know what the limiting device might be. Perhaps you could find out. Does it limit the output from your panels before the inverter? Does it limit the grid feed?

Would what they are proposing actually comply with regs or are they trying to pull another swifty on you?
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter. Off grid for 30 years.

Spares; 5 x 12V, 1,000 Ah batteries plus a couple of regulators
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Frosty262 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:55 am

Thanks for your reply Jules,

The limiter device limits the grid feed to 5kw. They stated that this is required because I have a single phase property. I have asked the company and they state that it is nothing to do with safety, purely because the application that they made was for a 5kw inverter.

I have all of the signed documents to prove what I requested to be installed. The $200 extra was to keep the 6kw inverter that they installed in error and I said that I was happy to keep to save messing around with the system that had been installed by removing the inverter and replacing it with the 5kw one.

The regulations or are they pulling a fast one on me are the things that I’m unsure of which is why I posted on here to see if anyone could help.

If it’s a Government regulation then they can come and replace the inverter and refund my $200. If it’s just because they made a mistake and won’t be getting some kind of rebate from the government then that’s their issue I think.
Frosty262
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby APR » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:01 pm

It is most likely a Modbus meter they need to install now... or at the very least, a current clamp on the fe3d to the grid.

Some way of identifying how much power is being exported is needed. The inverter will know how much power it is producing, but it will not know if that power is being used in house, or whether it is being exported. The current clamp or Modbus meter on the grid feed will tell the inverter how much power is being exported, and the inverter will adjust it’s output so it doesn’t exceed the export limit.

If you use the inverter manufacturers portal to view your production, after the export limiting device is fitted you should also be able to see how much of your generation is being used in-house and how much is being exported.
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics