Wind Gen/alt connections

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Wind Gen/alt connections

Postby harrydiculous » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 am

Yes Jaahn. It's been going through my head all night.

What I'm not understanding is the relationship between the Panels & the Batteries.

The Inverter is demanding power to feed its chickens. The cable to the battery terminal is much thicker than the cable from the Regulator & the panels.

So, hydraulically speaking, the inverter will receive more power from the battery rather than the panels because it has a bigger "pipe."

I should, then, be able to work out what's coming from the Batteries & The PV's by deducting the PV input from the total used by the inverter.

I can then formulate that into an excel sheet to make it easier to troubleshoot/develop later.

But first, I'll check again all the cabling from the panels. I haven't done that for some time.

I just saw Jules post come in. I didn't run it much at all. Maybe 2 mins. The Voltage dropped to 25 so I cut it short.
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:27 pm

You really should be measuring the voltage at various points in the system with a single good quality multimeter, rather than relying on the voltage readings of inverter, MPPT CC etc, (which almost certainly do not agree) making any proper analysis impossible.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jaahn » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi Harry :D
If you wish to measure the power of your 240V household appliances you can get one of these; https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/240V-Power- ... ctupt=true
I have one ! But indeed all the libraries here have a home power consumption check' kit to borrow which has one. So check with your library too. You can use them on the mains power, as well as plugged into a sinewave inverter. Be interesting to see if you get the same reading ?? :roll:
Cheers Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Components, Installation And Performance