Charging LiFePO4 near freezing & in cold?

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Charging LiFePO4 near freezing & in cold?

Postby Jman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:33 pm

From all the reading I have done some sources of info say at 0 degrees C you can't charge & some say yes, you just cant at lower temps like minus10-20 C etc. Anyone know & have experience? What about 5-6 degrees C? should charge rate be lowered from the usual 0.3-04C rate?

thanks
Jman
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: Charging LiFePO4 near freezing & in cold?

Postby davef » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:15 pm

5C is the minimum that I am charging Winston at. I keep mine between 10-15C, it doesn't take much even in freezing cold (at the moment) Christchurch, NZ. A 25 Watt heater in a poly insulated box takes about 100W/H/day in winter.

The guy at electrodacus.com (Google groups) has a forum for his product and I think there have been several threads on battery heating.
davef
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Re: Charging LiFePO4 near freezing & in cold?

Postby australsolarier » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:04 am

under 0 Celsius you can discharge a lifepo4 battery. but charging is not recommended. maybe trickle charging.

my power shed is insulated. and has airconditioner. the electronic devices keep that room warm over night. to give you an idea:
at the moment 5 degrees outside. inside the shed the floor is 13C, the ceiling 19C, the battery about 17C.
you might try to cover the battery with an old doona, maybe with a heating blanket underneath?
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Components, Installation And Performance