Calcium battery for off-grid solar

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Calcium battery for off-grid solar

Postby manga » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:52 pm

I have sourced an Alco calcium car battery (Alco MF55457) that I'd like to use as my off-grid battery charged by solar.
The battery states on it 54Ah at the 20 hour rate, so I assume that they are ok for deep cycle use.

These batteries are maintenance free lead-acid with some calcium added for durability and from what I have found is that they require 14.8V for charging, rather than the 14.1V for regular lead-acid batteries.

Provided my charge controller (Powertech MP3129) can supply 14.8V, is there any thing else I need to be aware of ?
manga
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Calcium battery for off-grid solar

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:47 pm

Car batteries are designed to provide high currents for short periods, and then be immediately recharged. They don't generally last very long in off-grid applications, where they may be in a discharged state for extended periods.
With such a low capacity battery, I take it you aren't trying to run a house from it. If it is just running a small LED for a few hours each night it might be ok.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby manga » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:41 am

Indeed, I won't be trying to run a house from it. It is purely an experiment and I will only be running LED garden lights at night time and possibly charging small appliance like my phone and various AA batteries, so no more than a 2A draw on the battery.

Longevity of the battery is of no concern as I got this battery free.
manga
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby australsolarier » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:10 pm

manga,
maybe you should change your header as it is misleading.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Components, Installation And Performance