Solar panel angle

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Solar panel angle

Postby Jet » Tue May 28, 2019 5:25 pm

G,day All,

I’m in WA and looking to fit solar panels to a shed roof, question is, leave flat on roof or tilted?
Roof is 4.5 degrees facing due north and if panels are tilted another 15deg, gap between next row would need to be around 1m to prevent shading of the bottom section in winter meaning less room for panels.
Do you leave flat and put extra row of panels on or tilt and leave big gaps?
I would get approx 4 rows of 8 panels tilted or 6 rows of 8 panels flat.

Thanks
Jet
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Solar panel angle

Postby jules » Wed May 29, 2019 9:04 am

I'd suggest you're better off with the 6 X 8 set up. Tilting certainly helps but not as much as it might appear to. You'll also gain when the sky is slightly overcast and light energy is even less "point source" than usual. You could tilt the back row, given that wouldn't shade the others but you wouldn't gain much and it might lack aesthetics.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter. Off grid for 30 years.

Spares; 5 x 12V, 1,000 Ah batteries plus a couple of regulators
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Jet » Wed May 29, 2019 10:16 am

Thanks Jules, much appreciated!!
Jet
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby jules » Wed May 29, 2019 3:24 pm

For off-grid installations like yours, one of the key challenges is how to manage a few days, or more, of grey sky with low or no charge. The 6 x 8 will definitely be superior where you're scratching to pick up every Watt available. Most off grid systems will produce an excess of power when the weather is fine for most of the time, as long as there's enough panels of course.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter. Off grid for 30 years.

Spares; 5 x 12V, 1,000 Ah batteries plus a couple of regulators
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby dRdoS7 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:49 pm

Hi,

I used a program, when adding more panels, to determine the best array angles. I did various configs, and it gave the values for each. I'm not home ATM, so can't tell you what it's called. You could use an online calculator, I forget what that's called. A something Watts? :roll:

Might be worth thinking east & west pointing too. I did that after reading here about virtual tracking. Plus, it was the only option I had to fit the extra quanity I wanted to add to my existing system.

dRdoS7
"I've got an idea. Here, hold my beer."
dRdoS7
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Fri May 31, 2019 8:25 am

totally flat or 20 degrees inclination does hardly make any difference for overcast weather. but yes the shading might. to avoid shading, in my situation, 35 degrees latitude: the distance between rows needs to be 1.5X to the height of the frame.
the flat orientation though has quite low generation in the winter months. so you need to consider this. though with a small system like yours, it is not that important.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Jet » Fri May 31, 2019 12:51 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I think I’ll be going with the oversizing array and flat on the roof if it’s not making much difference to output but itll definitely be more aesthetically pleaseing being flat :D :D
Jet
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics