Wind Gen/alt connections

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Wind Gen/alt connections

Postby harrydiculous » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:08 pm

I'll take the panels down and check. I had planned to take them down & reposition for more roof space plus replace the hotch potch of Anderson Plugs with MC4 that I have already purchased for the job. I actually thought that the limit was going to be 1000 watts with the purchase of another MPPT controller in parallel. I will now rethink all of that. Thank you very much, Gordon. That is fantastic.
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby harrydiculous » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:43 am

Well, I've added four x 160 watt panels. Removed the 100 watt. There's now 6 x 160 watt panels wired. 3 x 2 in series as Gordon suggested and then delivered to the VR in parallel. Around 40 volts now as shown. So 960 watts in total. The larger end unit is a camping panel and is only discharging 15 - 16 volts so I might replace that with one identical to its mate.

Image960watt by jibbonpoint, on Flickr

ImageIMGP4516 by jibbonpoint, on Flickr

The vine in the foreground isn't shading the panels.

Also added another battery to make it 4 x 100 amp/h

I need now to take the best advantage of it.

Thanks for all your help. I'll see if I can eventually make myself useful elsewhere in the forum.
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby australsolarier » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:27 pm

the vine in the foreground might not shade the panels now, but they for sure will in the winter
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby harrydiculous » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:47 am

australsolarier wrote:the vine in the foreground might not shade the panels now, but they for sure will in the winter

I'll be trimming it before then. (I've just cut some major offshoots so I'll see what dies.)

By the way. I forgot about the Wind Turbine. I think I'll run that directly to the batteries from it's own VR and manually control when it's running. No sun for a few days and wind, let it go and monitor the battery charging.

I could donate it to a struggling Yachtie I suppose who would get more use out of it.

Any other suggestions, of course, always gratefully received. :)
harrydiculous
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Previous

Return to Components, Installation And Performance