Energy Efficient Fridge

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Energy Efficient Fridge

Postby Hastings » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:59 am

Hi all.
Wondering about the best upright fridge I can buy in regards to efficiency, size and cost.
I read smaller fridges are less efficient than bigger ones, but wouldn't have a clue about the formula.
So anyone out there have suggestions?
Cheers
Hastings
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: Energy Efficient Fridge

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:12 pm

My advice is to buy a 2nd hand fridge with the condenser coils on the back, and add your own insulation to the sides, top and door. It will be more efficient than newer fridges with the condenser coils inside the fridge walls, and a lot less expensive to buy.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jaahn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:39 am

Hi :)
I would agree with Gordon. :shock: You can get door seal kits also to improve the way it seals. When I did that to my old fridge years ago we also improved the door insulation by using spray foam in the back of the plastic inside moulding. :geek:
We bought a new more efficient fridge some time back. I did not notice that it uses less power or even that it switches on less than the old one did. It certainly makes more noise than the old one :roll:
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby lantern » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:36 am

We have been recommending some of the new Samsung models. Inverter start means a big inverter is no longer required. Just check the ratings on the fridge door.
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:08 am

you can look up the efficiency of fridges on the star rating website.
that is what i am doing when buying new appliances. then checking the prices and place of manufacturing.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Hastings » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:28 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Hastings
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Return to Energy Efficiency