Looking for a ceiling fan

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Re: Looking for a ceiling fan

Postby gyro » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi
I have one question for you, does the ceiling have roof cavity above it? if so you can take heated air (from the sun) and warm up you home during the day, I have done so for many years just using a normal household ceiling fan mounted in a plywood box. The idea is to mount it as centrally as possible to the apex of your roof with the fan mounted as high as possible inside the top of the box (around 300mm square) with fan facing into the box to transport warm air into it. Cutting a square hole in ceiling you mount a louvered panel pointing it in the direction you wish air to flow. In series to the fan connect a refrigeration thermal coupled switch with sensor as high in the roof as you can, also in series to the fan connect a room thermostat inside the house on the wall. The top thermostat set to switch on at say 30 derees C and set the one in the house to switch off at say 25 degrees C in summer this switch is set to off.
This way the fan will start up automatically when upper roof temperature is above 30 degrees and the bottom one overides it once you have reached your desired room temperature. This heating system only uses a couple of cents electricity per day and your house will be toasty warm so you need not start your other heater until later in the evening if at all.
gyro
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby stivzor » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:56 am

My roof is flat, with very little cavity at all.
I have bought one of these fans. Hopefully I'll install it within the next few weeks and let you know how it goes.

By the way, the fan comes with an earth wire. What should I connect this to, since it will be installed nowhere near any other electrical cables? Is it strictly necessary to connect the earth cable for a 12V Dc fan?

stivzor
stivzor
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:25 am

Are there any metal parts on the fan, is it connected to them? Perhaps it is the standard wiring loom for all versions of it, if there is a 240V version. For 12V I think you could either remove it, or connect it in parallel with the negative lead.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Ritu1 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:12 pm

You can purchase Hover Fan.
Ritu1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Ritu1 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:16 pm

You can buy Hover Ceiling Fan.
Ritu1