Geothermal Heat Pumps

There's more to renewable energy than just wind and solar power - hydro, wave, geothermal to name a few. Discuss these RE alternatives here!

Geothermal Heat Pumps

Postby Nell123 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:03 am

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of installing a Geothermal (or ground sourced as I keep being told it should be) heat pump, I know they are more expensive initially but I'm doing it for environmental reasons. My question is are they as efficient in practise as they are claimed to be?

This page https://www.automaticheating.com.au/product-category/heat-pumps/ground-source-heat-pumps/ talks about a saving of 80% is that a figure that heat pumps can produce or is it different in real life?

Thanks,
Nell
Nell123
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Geothermal Heat Pumps

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:42 am

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Nell123 :)

Ground source heat pumps can be a bit more efficient than air source, but not by a whole lot in most locations.
IMO the extra expense is just not worth it. Powering a relatively inexpensive regular heat pump with solar power greatly reduces the running cost, so why spend a much larger amount burying lots of pipes in the ground when it isn't really necessary?

BTW, geothermal generally relates to much deeper hot rocks- I suspect marketing departments have started the trend to incorrectly call ground source heat pumps "geothermal", when they are actually nothing of the sort.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: Geothermal Heat Pumps

Postby Nell123 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:53 am

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your reply, I will take your advice on board.

:D
Nell123
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Other renewable energy