Lifepo4 heat generation

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Lifepo4 heat generation

Postby Al510 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:11 pm

Hi guy's,
Just joined this forum after reading some of the awesome threads regarding lifepo4 batteries.
I am in the process of designing and building a caravan to live in, and plan on installing a large lifepo4 pack and solar.
One question i have not been able to find an answer to is how much heat do these cells generate when charged and discharged at under 0.2C.
The cells will be inside the van, it will be fibreglass foam sandwich construction and well insulated. They will be in their own cupboard. Will they need extra fan type ventilation or will being inside the living area be enough to keep them cool?
Your help in this matter would be much appreciated.
Cheers, Al.
Al510
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Lifepo4 heat generation

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:27 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Al :)

At around 0.2C charging rate, the heat produced is minimal. I have never noticed my 400AH 52V battery getting warm when charging at up to 0.25C. They are a lot more efficient than Lead-acid batteries, and produce much less heat when charging or discharging.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Al510 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the reply Gordon.
Sounds like the battery should be fine without ventilation then
Cheers Al.
Al510
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby davef » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:16 pm

Also consider the maximum operating temperature and the minimum charging temperature.
davef
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:55 am

charged my 400ah/48v lifepo4 battery, 50% SOC with 140A. the battery was 2 degrees C warmer at the end.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Components, Installation And Performance