Battery Location

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Battery Location

Postby gis_mapper » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:47 am

I've got two Unisolar 62 watt panels that I plan to feed into a gel battery for storage.

The two panels will be mounted on the roof and the best location (in terms of minimal wire use) for the battery would be in the roof space just under the panels. I can then feed the power to my couple of 12 v ceiling lights.

But given that I live in Perth, and summers obviously are quite hot, what effect would this have on the battery? I have open eaves, and two whirlybirds for circulation, but would I be better off putting the battery under the house (where it is quite cool) and using a lot more wire to get to the battery and back to the ceiling for light use?

Thanks,

Bill
gis_mapper
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Battery Location

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:58 am

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forums.

Extreme temperatures can be a battery's worst enemy in terms of reducing serviceable life. I've run my Sonnenschein in ambient temperatures of 48C, but only out of necessity rather than choice.

A longer cable run from panel to battery is fine as long as you have the right sized cable to minimise line loss and prevent the wire from overheating. We have a DC cable calculator here you may want to try if you haven't already:

http://www.energymatters.com.au/climate ... ulator.php
Michael B.
Energy Matters Forum Team (Please note: I am not a solar tech or installer)

Check out Energy Matters' current solar power specials
or try our instant online solar quoting system!
MichaelB
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics