Wind Gen/alt connections

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Wind Gen/alt connections

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:49 am

Im my experience the controllers that come with cheap Chinese wind turbines are useless rubbish, so I wouldn't be relying on it to protect your battery.

If you are around it is fairly simple to manually regulate your battery votlage by turning some panels off while the wind is blowing hard, and/or turn on some loads, at battery voltage or 230V via the inverter doesn't matter.
Just aim to keep the battery around float voltage if it is already charged.

When I first had solar and a home made wind turbine generator I used to manually regulate the voltage. If you want to shut the turbine down, you need to short the 3phases out, or else turn it out of the wind.

Do you have 200AH of battery now? What current is going into it?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby harrydiculous » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi Gordon.

The batteries are showing 12.7 (2x100AMP/HR)

I disconnected the panels and the charge light went out. I would have thought that the charge light would be showing charge by by solar & wind.

Input into controller is approx 12 - 14 Volts AC 3ph.

The VOLTS out is the same as the battery voltage.

I wonder if the WT is charging at all.

Graeme
Last edited by harrydiculous on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250
harrydiculous
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby harrydiculous » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Further info:- I disconnected the WT from the battery & measured. About 14 volts DC but the WT just took off. Plugged it back in & it slowed down.

When this wind drops, I think I'd be better advised to take it down & read a book before I put it up again.

And changed current to volts in above post.

Shorted & stopped.
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250
harrydiculous
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:22 pm

harrydiculous wrote:The VOLTS out is the same as the battery voltage.

That will always be the case when it is connected to the battery, other than a bit of volt drop through bad connections or undersized cable. It is the current that is of interest, so that you know it is actually doing something.

Disconnecting it electrically in a strong wind is never a good idea! That removes most of the load, potentially allowing overspeed, and catastrophic failure! Short the 3 phases out first.

12.7V suggests the battery isn't fully charged if there is net charge going into it. If the wind turbine was only putting out 14V with no load, I'd suggest it is better suited to a 6V battery! If it really was windy and 14VDC was all it would do with no load, then it is unlikley to be of much use for charging your 12V battery.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby harrydiculous » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks again Gordon. I've shorted it. As soon as I make a "quick short" method, I'll take those measurements.

I did set this WT up to learn what I could about the technology, and I'm certainly doing that.
harrydiculous
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby harrydiculous » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:58 pm

I've added another 100 watts to the Solar so 3 panels 2 x 160 & 1 x 100. (420 watts total) The roof of the shed is now full so increase I'd have to build another roof.

And 2 x 100 AMP/h Batteries. The Hybrid Voltage reg once again is 400W Solar 600W Wind.

I have bought a new Anemometer but I'm not going to worry too much about the wind at this point.

The above system with the sun out runs the 5.5 kg washing machine with only a small drop in Volts on spin cycle. And I'm running the computer.

Running the LCD TV as well during the day with the above, is OK.

So, I thought that I could estimate the charge rate of the batteries using Ohms Law therefore justifying the purchase of another battery or even two, but the resistance measured is zero. (Measurements taken at the disconnected join point before the Voltage Rergulator) The volts at 1.00 pm today was 21.86. A bit cloudy.

So I'm trying to get some "Current in" figures so I can better estimate what I can use or add.

Thanks again.
harrydiculous
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:22 pm

harrydiculous wrote: The volts at 1.00 pm today was 21.86...

I suspect you meant 12.86V.

So, I thought that I could estimate the charge rate of the batteries using Ohms Law therefore justifying the purchase of another battery or even two, but the resistance measured is zero.

A regular ohm meter wont work. If you have 420W of PV, then maximum charging current will probably be about 25A when the sun is face on to the panels with clear sky, if you have an MPPT charge controller. With a PWM regulator, it is more likely to be 15-20A at best, assuming your panels have a Vmpp around 18V.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby harrydiculous » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks Gordon.

A picture of the testing procedure. The Anderson plug at the back contains the wire that goes to the Panels. I've disconnected it from the Voltage Regulator and connected another Anderson Plug with Aligator clips so I could get a decent connection for testing. The Multimeter is showing 19.73 Volts constant. (Just using the Multimeter probes on the disconnected Anderson Plug gave readings all over the place.)

Also, if relevant, the three panels are connected to Anderson Plugs using fabricated double adaptors. The first panel was a camping unit drafted into permanent service and I needed to bypass its VR, the second turned up with reverse polarity so I had to cut the MC4 connecors & fitted the Anderson Plug & the third, well, I just used ImageIMGP3587 by jibbonpoint, on Flickrthe Anderson Plug supplied for convenience. However, I did purchase enough MC4 plugs to rewire the lot.
harrydiculous
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby jaahn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:17 am

Hi Harry :D
Just a comment to help you get some sense into your readings.
Buy a current meter. Perhaps one that reads several things. But with solar panels and wind turbines reading voltage on its own does not tell you much useful information. You must read the voltage while they are outputting the current. So to be clear you must read both the current and the voltage at the same time while the panel or turbine is "working" so two meters are necessary to do a useful reading of the output.

If you have a current meter, of a decent size (seperate shunt perhaps) you can read what is happening to the current and also read the voltage with your multimeter. You can leave it there to read the current you are using also. As you have found you need good connections to make good readings.

Here is a cheap meter from ebay. I just selected it at random, there are lots available. Some have anderson plugs fitted. Note these cheap ones often only read the current in one direction, so buy two for charge and discharge or swap it around. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-100A-Met ... Desc=0%7C0
Good luck playing and learning.
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby harrydiculous » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:21 am

Thanks jaahn. Ordered three. (one spare). Looking forward to installing them.

Funny, you know! I've friends that will ask me, "What are you doing this for? You'll never get your money back."

These are people that will spend $25,000 on a fishing boat, $100 per trip on fuel & come back with $20 worth of fish. :lol:
harrydiculous
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance