480L 24Vdc Fridge/freezer

Looking for pre-loved wind and solar power gear? Have used equipment for sale? Post your wanting to buy or wanting to sell ad absolutely free here! Includes Energy Matters "bargain table" clearance specials!

480L 24Vdc Fridge/freezer

Postby wlb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:14 am

Our 24VDC eutectic fridge is no longer required.
We've been using it off-grid for about 10 years. It consists of a pair of Ozefridge marine units with Danfoss compressors. http://www.ozefridge.com.au/
I modified a large conventional 480 litre 2-door Kelvinator fridge/freezer, removing the original compressor, condenser, and evaporators, added more insulation on the back and underneath, and then I installed one of the large Ozefridge ice tanks in the freezer compartment and the other in the fridge compartment. Each unit is completely independent of the other, so you can set the desired temperatures for the fridge and freezer compartments independently. In fact you need not run the freezer compartment as a freezer if you wish.
Being basically split systems, the compressor units are located outside the house and the insulated copper refrigerant pipes come through the wall and into the cabinet, like a split system air-con. Because the condensers and compressors are outside the house, the heat removed from the fridge cabinet is not released in the house, so the cabinet can be built into kitchen cabinetry with additional insulation added on all sides.
These Ozefridge systems are air-cooled by a small computer-type fan, but they also have the option to use water cooling. I have an unused water cooling kit, spare cooling fans, and a complete unused spare compressor unit available.
Because it is a split system, to relocate it the refrigerant lines need to be disconnected and some refrigerant will be lost. Therefore, when reinstalling it you will need the services of a refrigeration mechanic to regas the systems.
Because this is a full-size, heavy domestic fridge cabinet, it will need to be collected. It cannot be shipped. We are near Warragul in West Gippsland, VIC.

The asking price is $1,100.
This is a fraction of what it cost to build, let alone the value of the spare parts. But we have had 10 years good service from it.
If interested, please contact me for more technical information and photos, or if you wish to inspect it. It is still in use so you can see it in operation.
wlb
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: 480L 24Vdc Fridge/freezer

Postby wlb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:04 am

An important point that I forgot to mention.

Although we have the fridge installed like a split air-con system, with the Ozefridge compressor/condenser units outside the house, this isn't essential. If you use the water-cooling pump, you can install the compressor/condenser units in a cupboard beside the fridge for example, and run the water hoses for the remote cooling system outside. The heat from the fridge is then transferred outside the house that way.

The main advantage of the separate compressor/condenser units in a low energy off-grid house is the ability to install the fridge cabinet in a recess in the kitchen and add a lot of extra external insulation around it. You can't off course do this with a conventional fridge that relies on air-cooling for its built-in compressor and condenser.
wlb
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Secondhand Wind And Solar