I-miev all electric car.

Into electric cars, hydrogen engines, biodiesel; in fact any sort of alternative fuel vehicle? Here's the place for you - questions, tips, resources and electric car/alternative fuel vehicle news.

Re: I-miev all electric car.

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:37 am

Great to hear it is still going well Kurt :)

How many km have you clocked up in it now?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:46 am

50,000km. Though 10,000km of that has been in the last 6 months in South Australia. As we are averaging 400km a week in it. It would have to have 2000 cycles on the battery by the end of the year. As some times it gets charged two times in a day (over the weekends) and once each day with the odd day not being charged. So more or less once a day and its almost 5 years.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:55 am

One thing I noticed in the cold SA weather. I took the diesel ute to do the school run once a few weeks back. Stating that engine in 2C temp and having to pull straight out onto the freeway and more or less climb the hills straight away at 100kph sounded so nasty on the cold engine rattling away under load cold .

I feeling having the EV to do all the cold start winter trips (partially short tips) is saving a lot of wear on our diesel engine.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:24 am

offgridQLD wrote:we are averaging 400km a week

That's almost as far as I rode my MTB last week ;)

Good plan to use the i-Miev instead of the diesel ute on those cold morning trips:)
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby conklinc » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:43 am

So Kurt, u've moo-vd to SA? Permanently? I've been off this forum for a year and a half or so. My i-MiEV (2012) is running just fine. Don't put a lot of kms on it we are on the fringe of SE Melbourne, top of the peninsula and everything is close by, we're retired. I had a ton of trouble with it first couple of years mainly because I had the annoying habit of leaving the keys in the ignition and not turning it completely off. Drains the aux battery in no time . . . can't figure out why? Duh!

My only issue is that my radio ist kaput. Goes into error when I use i-pod or phone, and so does the CD. I suppose I could replace it, but I'm scared to have anyone work on it because it is ELECTRIC, lol! I miss my music.

My daughter on the SoCal high desert in Cali loves her '14. She's a skool shrink and gets mileage reimbursement of 53 cents a mile while dinkun back and forth between schools. Since she has 5kw of panels on her roof, and the sun shines 320 days a year on the high desert, she's making a killing just driving around while at work!

In contrast, I can't afford to charge using my panels . . . as I'm making the P-FIT when I up-grid everything I can possibly generate, as in 100% right now because I'm currently State-side. So I charge after during offpeak 11 pm at night. Believe me, just before 2024 and the end of the P-FIT, Origin Energy is going to buy me a couple of PowerWalls!

I just put a 4.6kW array on my home in Utah, not very efficient in the winter, but whee-doggy this summer! Free AC in the 38 degree sun. It will prolly not pay for itself in my lifetime, but that is not why I bought it.
conklinc
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:16 am

Yes south Australia now full time. In the southern hills about 1hr drive from Adelaide. We actually dropped our Imiev off at Mitsubishi yesterday to have the passenger airbag replaced. First time anyone has touched it from new.

I know what your saying regarding not having a car stereo. When we purchased our car new they entered the stereo security number into the stereo for me but didn't write it in the instruction book. So when I replaced the lead acid stater battery a few years later I lost the code programming.

Went to the instruction book and had four blank spots :twisted: We tried a few hundred codes to guess it with no luck.

When we dropped the car off to have the airbag replaced they looked the code up for us :D Wife was happy to have the stereo going again.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby conklinc » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:35 pm

How'd u realize the airbag needed replacing?
conklinc
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:56 pm

Bacause its a recall on all airbags from that manufacture. For free many jap cars had this recall.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Got the car back today.

They put electrical grease on the indicator plug ( safety recall) Though they didn't clip the steering column shroud back together properly and had to fix it myself :twisted:

Then they swapped out the passenger airbag. Nothing to see looks like it went ok.

They also removed the skid plate under the length of the car that shields the battery box. (something about potential corrosion point) Though I think it was only a issue with US cars that have salt on the roads that had any issue. Anyhow they coated a few brackets with a sticky slime crap. Out of the 12 or so 10mm bolts that hold the shield in place 5 all down the drivers side where totally loose. As in just holding on by two threads and about to fall out and be lost on the drive home :twisted: I guess it was lunch time between that job and they just forgot :lol:

So that got my thinking I should double check some more. I popped the rear hood (motor and controller cover) to see a sparkling new motor controller :D wasn't expecting that (I guess another recall....hmmm should check there rubbish skip for the old motor controller as there was nothing wrong with it :? )

I'm actually happy I didn't bring the car back years ago for that recall as I got all the years out of the original controller trouble free and now in 2018 I have a brand new one with fresh capacitors :lol: Though I did double check they had clipped all the high voltage plugs and so on in properly so that its water and dust tight and it all looked fine. Though in swapping out the controller you do loose about a cup of coolant and the level in the reservoir is now just below the low mark and they didn't bother topping it up :twisted:

It's good to have all the recalls done for free and from a insurance liability point I had to do it. They can stop bugging me now to bring it back. Though its a strong reminder of why I never let anyone touch my cars unless forced to .
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Privatteer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Hopefully they are better than the Nissian Numbwits.
Lost count of the times I've returned the forms and told them on phone the vehicle in question was de-registered and sent to wreckers.
Stage 1:
Fronius Primo 5 + 6.6kW Canadian Solar
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Electric/Alternative Fuel Vehicles