Solar output confusion

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: Solar output confusion

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:57 am

If it was a photo straight out of your phone, it is probably vastly oversized for viewing here. Make it 1000-1200 pixels across, and save in .GIF format and it will be easily read and not a huge file size.

See: announces/topic5780.html
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby engineern6719 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:32 pm

Privatteer wrote:
engineern6719 wrote:They asked me to keep a log for a week to 10 days recording and photographing readings three times a day.

It would be good if you can post at least one set of photos and the results of the mentioned log.

Hope you can read the log in the photo.Origin ascertained from these results that the system was serviceable.
Attachments
65602BA7-4B2D-47F7-B492-64EF364872D0.jpeg
65602BA7-4B2D-47F7-B492-64EF364872D0.jpeg (38.64 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
engineern6719
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Privatteer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:47 am

From what I can make out your solar system itself certainly seems to be working. Your power usage has dropped to about 5 units a day with noticeable jumps at night.

Your simply using all the power being generated, fairly unlikely as import remains low on low solar days, or
the export is not being recorded or
Error in reading. Are you sure there is not separate screens for different tariffs?
Stage 1:
Fronius Primo 5 + 6.6kW Canadian Solar
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby engineern6719 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:56 am

We only pay single tariff.The meter has a single LCD screen which cycles between import and export readings.It was during this time that the export figures remained the same over several days and only crept up to 3890 when the meter was read on the 19th June.That export figure has only changed 1kwh since the 19th June and now reads 3891.That to me just doesn’t seem right to only add 1 kWh when there have been some good solar output days during that period and our usage is quite light during the day unless it is bitterly cold and put the aircon on for a short while to warm the place up.
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quoting of previous post
engineern6719
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:15 am

Looking at your table, it appears that your inverter may have been set to not export (or export only a very low rate)), but also that you are using more than ~15kWhr per day, other than on 25/5, IE Solar output + import.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby engineern6719 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:51 pm

I have purchased a couple of power consumption meters.Carried out some checks today using the washing machine and drier.Total power usage was 4kwh.Only imported 1kwh today solar provided the rest.What I thought before I start blaming faulty equipment is to go on your suggestion and check the power consumption of all electrical appliances in the house.Might surprise me how much we are using.
I would also like to know how the Elster A1100 calculates power usage.Cant seem to find any documentation on the subject.
engineern6719
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby australsolarier » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:52 am

june here is notoriously lousy for solar generation. for on thing short days and more inclement weather than say july or may.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:25 am

australsolarier wrote:june here is notoriously lousy for solar generation...

It's been mostly above average solar radiation for the system in question this year, as posted on page 1, this graph: resources/image/2032
In any case, the generation totals have been shown, and some days have been quite good, as you'd expect in sunny weather. Since it is almost impossible to use everything you generate for such a long period with this sized system and the indicated energy usage, there must be a limitation on exports.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:34 am

What sort of hot water system do you have?
What inverter?
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby engineern6719 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:51 pm

No need to quote my post, it's just there ^^^^^ ;)

We have a gas water heater.Zeversolar inverter.
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quoting
engineern6719
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics