SMA 5000TL fault

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

SMA 5000TL fault

Postby gpigeon » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:37 am

I have 2x 5000TL's installed about 8 yrs ago.
The other day I noticed one had a "PE Disconnect" fault on it. I logged in as installer and switched off the PE monitoring but now a "Device Disturbance" fault (no. 63) is shutting down the inverter every day after an hour so of operation. Swithing it off and re-starting gets it up and running but again only for an hour or so.
The manual says to contact SMA, which I have done, but no reply yet.
Any other members come across this fault?
Thanks.
gpigeon
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: SMA 5000TL fault

Postby gpigeon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:18 pm

Wow!!!! No one else with faulty SB5000? I must have got the only dud one!

Just to confirm the problem was with the inverter I swapped them (I have 2 installed) over this morning. Following advice from SMA. The fault followed the inverter!!!!
What a PITA job to swap them! Originally purchased from Energy Matters.....but installed by one of their Gold Coast contaractors! One inverter was fastened in place with a piece of 10g (3.2mm for the uninitiated!!!) fencing wire! I had to work with a mirror to remove it. I am wondering if the piece of wire is a OEM spare???
The second inverter was so close to the adjacent isolation switch that it could not be moved sideways to slip it off the bracket.
Good on you Gold Coast boys!!!!
Looks like it's time for a new inverter???
gpigeon
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Components, Installation And Performance