batteries

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: batteries

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:39 am

There is always the option of mounting some on the side of the bus- park to face them eastwards so you get good early charging :)

Another option would be to use some of the underfloor storage areas to mount panels on slide out frames, to make set up a quick, easy job.

With the price of PV panels having come down significantly in recent years, I think it is better to add more panels than more battery storage, to get you through cloudy periods of weather.

You mentioned you had 1170W of panels on the bus roof, which suggests that the panels are not very efficient- perhaps older small panels? I suspect that you could be producing significantly more power with newer panels with outputs around 300W.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby zap » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:52 am

these panels are 285 watts each the limit is that there is other things on the roof such as vent and aircon I may be able to squeeze two more on but I like the idea of the side mounting. the side doors lift and would cause shade but by mounting directly to the doors they could be adjustable angle. may need to increase the gas lifts.
zap
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby zap » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:36 pm

So it seems my best option is to get the two twelve volts @240 amps and then add two more if needed later currently the system is running on the cranking batteries as you know they are around 220 ish I think (can't read the sticker) and it can run the aircon and fridge etc But not for long I am sure. However at the very least the house batteries can go down to their safe limit with no danger of being stranded and if we use power wisely and keep an eye on it we should be ok. I think we should monitor the power and make that call sooner rather than later as it would be better if all batteries are identical and around the same age. so if i do the four batteries i end up paying 2200 for 480 amps instead of 3000 for 435 amps (using 4 trojan 6 volts) but my first outlay is 1100 for 240 amps enough for most caravans with nowhere near as much solar.

I can't help thinking i should just go for the whole 480 amps just to be sure.
zap
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Components, Installation And Performance