Home Data Center Build - Solar Guru Guidance Needed

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: Home Data Center Build - Solar Guru Guidance Needed

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:38 pm

davidg wrote:
GregoInc wrote:The pack contains 80 YUASA LEV40 cells... which I hope to integrate into my offgrid system. Basically each cell is 40Ah at 3.75 volts. So it will be 15 cells in series to make my 48 volt system.

Parallel Pairs and then series them you will use 32 of them then.

With 16 or even 15 of them in series, you might stuggle to find a suitable 48V inverter with a high enough HVD, A 60V inverter (not too many available) will work with 16 in series 16 * 3.75V = 60V.

For a 48V inverter use 14 cells in series (nominal 52.5V, 200AH = very similar to 16 LiFePO4 cells), you could have 5 strings of 14 cells, leaving 10 spare cells. Use the surplus to pick out the strongest 70.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby GregoInc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:05 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:It wont work if this is meant to be an off-grid system, that's a grid-connect series of inverter.

Apologies. I was planning to use the PV inverter with a Victron MultiPlus which would be connected to the batteries i.e. and charge them. The PV inverter would generate the AC from the panels, which would then feed AC into the Multiplus which would charge the batteries. On occasions when the PV inverter is not supplying suitable AC the Multiplus would convert the battery DC into AC. It is in essence an AC based system, as apposed to a PV inverter that charged the batteries via DC.
GregoInc
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby GregoInc » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:29 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:With 16 or even 15 of them in series, you might stuggle to find a suitable 48V inverter with a high enough HVD, A 60V inverter (not too many available) will work with 16 in series 16 * 3.75V = 60V.

Plan on purchasing the Victron MultiPlus 48/3000/35-50, 48 volt inverter/charger with 2400W continuous power output (6000W surge) and 35A charge capacity and 50A automatic transfer switch (UPS function). The voltage input range of the Multiplus is 38-66V DC so should comfortably handle the 15S LEV40 input of 56.25 volts. The specification of the Multiplus I could even try 16S, but will go with 15S to be sure.

Here's a diagram of the Multiplus...
images (1).jpeg
images (1).jpeg (25.29 KiB) Viewed 235 times
GregoInc
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby GregoInc » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:44 am

Correction on above as it appears the Multiplus doesn't have Australian certification, so probably need to go with the MultiGrid which has certification.

Also, looking for advice re PV charger/inverter... If using the MultiGrid I can use a seperate DC charge controller to charge the lithium batteries from the PV, or a PV inverter which would feed AC into the MultiGrid to charge the lithium batteries.

Open to suggestions here... and happy to consider products other than Victron. I am a complete novice, so looking for the gurus to chime in please :)
GregoInc
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby GregoInc » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:48 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:For a 48V inverter use 14 cells in series (nominal 52.5V, 200AH = very similar to 16 LiFePO4 cells), you could have 5 strings of 14 cells, leaving 10 spare cells. Use the surplus to pick out the strongest 70.

Gordon, you are absolutely spot on with above. Finally got my head around it, and the penny dropped (maybe I am a slow learner). Thanks forthe advice, much appreciated.
GregoInc
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby GregoInc » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:30 pm

Well, looks like I am committed now... having purchased a Victron MultiGrid.

MultiGrid Unit sml.jpg
GregoInc
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Previous

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics