SA regulations

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

SA regulations

Postby Smurf1976 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:59 pm

Regarding solar regulations in SA.

I don't live there, just trying to give some practical advice to a friend who asked me what to do about their $$$ power bills. :)

Reading various things online it seems that there's an inverter size limit of 5kW for grid connection (single phase) in SA these days?

Or it's a 10kW limit if I read different things?

Also came across something saying that overpowering (eg 6.5kW of panels on a 5kW inverter) falls foul of some regulation and it can only be 5kW of panels? That seems odd but I read it somewhere online.

Anyone know the facts?

Cheers :D
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: SA regulations

Postby debe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:17 pm

I live in SA & on a SWER line with solar & the max allowed is 5KW on SWER line.
debe
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: SA regulations

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:00 pm

From what I can find the max you can put back to the grid on a single phase system is 5kw. Though larger inverters that have the ability to throttle the output to the grid ( a few from the big names comply and have the smarts ) to limit the max output to 5kw or less are ok.

For example 8.2kw inverter overdriven with say 10kw of pv . The inverter will clip the output in ideal conditions.

Though for the most part during peek sun hrs it will max out the feed in limit of 5kw and you can use the other 3.2kw covering daytime live loads. seems like an ok way to get max benefit from the FIT under the 5kw rule yet still have some headroom to cover daytime loads. (that said if you unable to get a good FIT it might not be worth the trouble)

I'm considering the above myself in SA on a 16c feed in tariff.

10kw will give a avarage of 44kwh day in SA. I did the numbers on 15kwh daytime consumption and 5kwh over night. 20kwh total day. The above system had over 25% PA retun on my money over buying grid power.Thats taking the system cost into acount and any bank interest I could have earned if i didn't purchase it.

Realy a no brainer with the very high unit costs in SA.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics