OK, new here but not new to fora

Say g'day and tell us a little bit about yourself if you wish. If you have a wind or solar power system, big or small; flaunt its specs here!

OK, new here but not new to fora

Postby JA2340 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:01 pm

So ... new to this forum, have a 1.8kW ground mount system 3*10 panel Kaneka 60W strings, with SMA inverter (not sure of the model, as it was installed 6 years ago) and underground connection to the house via a run of around 200m.

Not far from Gordon-loomberah's place.
Cottage and house both have solar Hot water systems and the house has a SolarMate space heating system for winter (reduces use of wood fire significantly!).

No reticulated water, so we rely on tanks for household use and a bore for olive irrigation and garden/lawn and olive processing.

I have been moderator on an international forum before, and have a presence on a number of fora regarding skiing and caravaning and well aware of the forum processes.

John
If you had to choose between being fit and drinking wine ...
What would it be? Red or White?
JA2340
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: OK, new here but not new to fora

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forum John :)

I've always wondered why your panel arrays face ~10 degrees east of north, is there a reason for facing them that way, rather than directly north?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
User avatar
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator
 
Posts: 5762
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Loomberah NSW Australia

Re: OK, new here but not new to fora

Postby JA2340 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:31 pm

Possibly to do with a dodgy compass ... certainly not intentional! :roll:
If you had to choose between being fit and drinking wine ...
What would it be? Red or White?
JA2340
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: OK, new here but not new to fora

Postby jaahn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:32 am

JA2340 wrote:Possibly to do with a dodgy compass ... certainly not intentional! :roll:

Hi John :D
Welcome here too.
Perhaps your compass was not dodgy but missled, and you should investigate whether there is some 'mother lode' of vast richness under the ground at your place ?? :shock:
Good luck Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:42 am

Re: OK, new here but not new to fora

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:57 am

I'm sure the compass was fine, but you don't want to use magnetic north, you need true north, which around these parts is about 10degrees to the left of magnetic north.
However, it wont make a huge amount of difference, and there is generally more cloud around in the afternoons, so pointing a bit to the east is fine.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
User avatar
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator
 
Posts: 5762
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Loomberah NSW Australia

Re: OK, new here but not new to fora

Postby JA2340 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:22 am

jaahn wrote:
JA2340 wrote:Possibly to do with a dodgy compass ... certainly not intentional! :roll:

Hi John :D
Welcome here too.
Perhaps your compass was not dodgy but missled, and you should investigate whether there is some 'mother lode' of vast richness under the ground at your place ?? :shock:
Good luck Jaahn

If there is, I'm not telling anyone - they'll only want to come and make a blooming great hole in the ground! Need rain much more than we need another hole! ;)
If you had to choose between being fit and drinking wine ...
What would it be? Red or White?
JA2340
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: OK, new here but not new to fora

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:00 pm

We are both in a gold exploration licence area, but that seems to have gone quiet lately, so maybe they didnt discover anything after all that aerial magnetometer work, and who knows what the low flying helicopters photographing houses a couple of years ago was all about...
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
User avatar
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator
 
Posts: 5762
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Loomberah NSW Australia

Re: OK, new here but not new to fora

Postby jaahn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:34 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:We are both in a gold exploration licence area, but that seems to have gone quiet lately, so maybe they didnt discover anything after all that aerial magnetometer work, and who knows what the low flying helicopters photographing houses a couple of years ago was all about...

Hmmmm...
Kim J... or the CIA or even Russian ?? :D :D
I'd be wary of strangers if I was you lot ......
:lol: :lol: ??
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:42 am

Re: OK, new here but not new to fora

Postby JA2340 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:02 pm

jaahn wrote:
Gordon-Loomberah wrote:We are both in a gold exploration licence area, but that seems to have gone quiet lately, so maybe they didnt discover anything after all that aerial magnetometer work, and who knows what the low flying helicopters photographing houses a couple of years ago was all about...

Hmmmm...
Kim J... or the CIA or even Russian ?? :D :D
I'd be wary of strangers if I was you lot ......
:lol: :lol: ??

I'm OK ... got my foil hat on! :roll:
If you had to choose between being fit and drinking wine ...
What would it be? Red or White?
JA2340
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:42 pm


Return to Introduce yourself

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

new solar power specials
cron