Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Postby Yunak » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 am

Thank you Jimbo, I will put together some details and pics, and PM them to you tonight. Regards Yunak
Yunak
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Jimbo007 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi Yunak,
You might include your phone number, it's much easier to converse over the phone. Faster too !
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Jimbo007 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:06 pm

For anyone wishing to source toroidal transformers for rewinding, RS components have some reasonably priced transformers which would suit rewinding. These are reasonably priced considering the weight and that if ordered online include freight!
Delivery is very prompt with part of my order arriving the next morning and the toroids coming from Poland arriving in just a week.
Check the individual specs as some have a larger center which suits our needs for a thick primary winding.
Ratings up to 3 Kva.
The RS Pro brand are much cheaper than the others and have a larger center ole.
Also a good range of E-cores.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Jimbo007 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:21 pm

I took delivery of my 6kva inverter late last year and as usual, a friend decided he wanted it. coincidentally, this was the same friend who previosly left his EI core styled PSW7 in a non weather proof area that I described a few pages back in this forum. This new unit is also 6 kva with a toroidal transformer and he intends to run his house on this.
After spending two weeks building a suitable shed to house the equipment, he proceded to connect his home breaker panel to the inverter using a change over contactor. I warned him the isolation between the fixed contact was not rated to withstand the out of phase Peak to Peak voltages to which I got the old " I know boats " reply.
The inverter system was commissioned and tested sucsesfully. Next came the moment to switch over to the inverter.
He closed the breaker and was immediately rewarded with an enourmous thud at the breaker, the house breaker board and the meter box.
A number of breakers had tripped, the contactor.s contacts failed and the incoming grid 80 amp link was blown all in an instant.
Despite all this carnage, the inverter hummed away merrily and when the board was rewired, drove the entire house without raising a sweat.
These things really are indestructible! I expected. the entire bridge to be destroyed but there were no casualties other than already described.
The toroid in this beast weighs around 40 kg.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Solar@wind » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:58 am

Hello Jimbo 007 and other powerstar W 7 owners and modifiers.

I got hit by lightning .

Strange, I had the 3 phase from the wind gennie connected to a terminal block and just sitting (open circuit) on the unistrut frame behind my W7 ,which was off. Only thing on to it was the 100amp dc breaker .

Ok , lightning mark (splat mark) was between one of the phase line and the unistrut ,nothing visable on the inverter.

Inverter -I switched it on this morning and the fans came on and all the indicator lights came on ,,stayed on for ,say 7-9 seconds, then went off -- no power coming out of the inverter at all.

Any suggestions , -sorry ,don,t have a boat ,so don,t need a boat anchor,lol.

boards suppliers-anybody got one ,W7, for sale or bits and pieces?

need help ,please

Bruce
Solar@wind
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Jimbo007 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:01 pm

G'day Bruce,
Lightning is an incidious beast. It gets in all sorts of nooks and crannies by conduction, arcing,induction and just presence like static electricity which most mos chips don't like.
It's impossible to guess what's going on there.
You haven't told US anything about your W7,wattage, voltage etc.
It is possible to source these boards from China but you will be best to provide pictures in addition to the units specs, particularly of the control board and display board,as there seem to be an incredible number of utterances of these boards.
You can also expect to pay around $300AU for a board set delivered, subject to exchange rate variations.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Solar@wind » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Thanks Jim ,

It,s a N-PSW 6000W

48 volts dc in and modified by installing a rewound toroidal , similat to what has been discussed and done on this well documented thread .

Sort of got me puzzled as when pressing the "inverter on" mode all the coloured leds light but nothing else ,then after a few seconds it closes down (probably a safety feature).

so, dc in put is normal , but all alarms light and then close down.

I'll follow up on the replacement boards if you or someone can advise a link or distributor .

After doing so much on the modification and it has been working perfectly for a few years now ,I feel fixing it might be wise ??.

Thank You for your advice

Bruce
Solar@wind
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Jimbo007 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:03 pm

G'day Bruce,
have you looked for any other burn marks? Check all the lines between the control and power boards. Check the FET's. Check the opto couplers and drvers. Is your primary winding open circuit ? A lightning bolt has unimaginable energy.
If you have an oscilloscope, you could look for drive signals around the drivers.
If you have a reasonable knowledge of electronics you could just get any 48 volt 6 kva board set from the company I mentioned about 5 pages or so back. I'd suggest that if you go this way, also order a digital display to suit at the same time as the replacement set would likely have a different display option.
This is probably the best way to go as you don't know what other components have been stressed by the strike, just waiting to fail at the most inopertune moment.
Again, I cannot stress enough, thoroughly test the ribbon cable between the driver and output boards.
Hopefully, the most difficult part to obtain, the toroid, is ok.
Cheers Jim.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Solar@wind » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Good afternoon Powerstar Modders.,

I've checked the "MOV,s" and they are all ok as far as I can ascertain with my multimeter.

I spent lots of time looking for a w7 6000 circuit ,no luck .

Would anyone have come across a set of circuits that could point me in the right direction ,so I can download myself , or would you like me to purchase a copy from you ,please.

This lightning strike did not leave a mark ,,so you can image my task. If you send me a personal message ,we,ll take it from there,thanks.

Bruce,thanks for your help

Solar@wind
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Jimbo007 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:29 pm

Bruce,
if you read through this forum, you'll find links to the diagrams somewhere. They are already published so no need to pay anyone.
As far as the control board goes, I don't think there is a complete diagram, just various sections which you could stitch together yourself but I don't recall seeing anything of the complete processor as the software does most of the work.
If you read the forum you'll see a development of a driver using the egis module avalable on ebay for a miniscule few dollars. This can drive your existing power board and may be a solution for you.
Read this forum completely, you won't regret it and you'll gain a wealth of knowledge from many brilliant minds.
If the CPU on your control board Has been corrupted by the strike, there will be no way of knowing.
Cheers, Jim.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance