Solar Panels under performing majorly!!

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: Solar Panels under performing majorly!!

Postby chods1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Shaded panel was West side,
chods1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby chods1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Any ideas as to our current system? I've been in touch with the providers, but not much in the way of support etc. Suggestions please blokes. I would like to set up an off grid battery setup. Previously [30 years ago] we had a 5kva wind gen with ex telecom batteries which worked great. but due to dubious Shire and neighbor interference we abandoned it to connect to Western Power. Any suggestions on what sort of batteries to go for. I am not sold on the Lithium Ion as yet. Gels?? the old lead acid were bulky but great and easy as to maintain. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
chods1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 pm

chods1 wrote:Any ideas as to our current system?

Still waiting for info as requested earlier!

I've been using a LiFePO4 battery for over 5 years, it is so far ahead of my previous Pb-acid batteries, that there is no real comparison. I had to freight them over from WA, which is slow and expensive, so you have a bit of an advantage there, although the exchange rate was more favourable in 2012.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Privatteer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:45 am

chods1 wrote:Any ideas as to our current system?

An earlier in the day say 10:00am reading will confirm if you have issues with PV2. There may be a bad panel/connection on it but until we see a non-shaded reading its impossible to say.

It may also be necessary to temporary isolate PV1, while its not likely there is a small chance it could be ramping back PV2 due to the high voltage.

Until you get the high voltage issues sorted out it won't ever be possible for full production without the inverter regularly shutting down on high voltage. In fact if you look through the error log the manual mentions you may find its already doing that.
Stage 1:
Fronius Primo 5 + 6.6kW Canadian Solar
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby chods1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:43 pm

These are the readings as at 10.35 am. PV1 Volts 267.1, PV2 Volts 352.6, PV1 current 3.4A, Pv2 current .9 A, PV1 Power 2376, PV2 Power 330. Output current 10.1 A, Net volts 258.4, Lad 2701, Grid power 2701
chods1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Please turn on a large load and report the solar readings while it is running.

Is there any shade at all on PV2, even something like a TV antenna?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby chods1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:12 pm

With an electric hotplate turned on as well as fridges etc. These are the readings.PV1 234.8 V, Pv2 335.1V, PV1 6.7 A, PV2 .6 A, PV1 power 1712, PV2 power 205. Output current 7.2, Net volts 255.2, Grid power 1912.
There is slight shading on both arrays as the angle of the sun is dropping compared to Mid summer.
Previously we had no shading but now we do until early afternoon when there is none. Even with no shading the arrays only were putting out just under 2700 Watts.
chods1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Privatteer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:54 pm

OK, It certainly looks like your PV2 on the east side has an issue that is consistent thru the day.
Higher volts but low amps.

The only other test I can think off is switching off PV1 if possible.
Edit: Actually no need since PV1 was shaded in afternoon and PV2 did not ramp up.

I would put your results into a spreadsheet and email to supplier.
Last edited by Privatteer on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 1:
Fronius Primo 5 + 6.6kW Canadian Solar
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Can you define "slight shading"? A photo would be great!

However, I still think there is clearly some sort of problem with PV2, as the current has been consistently low, if the shading is similar to PV1. I'm not sure why the tech who visited didn't think that was an issue.

Can you turn PV1 off at an easily accessible isolator to see what happens to PV2's output? [Edit, Privatteer beat me to it ;) ]

Do you know what your grid voltage is at night time? If it is over 230V, it may be possible to get Western Power to use a different tap on the transformer that supplies your house, so that the daytime voltage is not so high. In any case, something needs to be done, as you risk equipment damage.

Do you know if other houses are supplied from that transformer?
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby chods1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:24 pm

No other house are supplied as the transformer is for our farm only. When isolating the panels there is no change to PV2 voltage and current.
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quoting
chods1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics