Energy Retailers- are they doing the right thing?

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Energy Retailers- are they doing the right thing?

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:22 pm

Every now and then I hear of people unhappy with their retailers for various reasons- bill shock, solar not working- and only discovered when the next bill arrives, unexpected plan changes/price rises, slow with smart meter changeover, tardy approvals for new solar installations, low FiT, etc.

I assume these are widespread problems, since retailer churning is at quite high rates. What many may not realise is that retailers are allowed to include a margin on their customer's bills in order to entice new customers over from other retailers, in the form of discounts for new customers. You wont see that one itemised though.

Please tell us about your experiences in this thread.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: Energy Retailers- are they doing the right thing?

Postby australsolarier » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:40 pm

i am with origin, surprise surprise, they went up with the grid feed in tariff from 6 to 9 cents

on the other hand, the new meter is still not installed

about a year and a half ago i rung up to change the plan to the 12c feed in tariff and they didn't do it.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GarnZ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:45 am

I am trying to get a "Handle" on my electrical expenditure, the trouble is Energy Australia keeps notifying me that my "metering period" has changed. My last period was 06 July to 03 October 2017.
My new period is from last October to 4 March 2018. When queried via phone the young agency girl was unable to give any account info, as they are currently trying to get the info in from the smart meters throughout NSW.

Note that, in the meantime, there are currently many suppliers knocking at the door, trying to get me to take up their company. I have heard that when these companies contact you and you agree to accept their offer, they seem to have to right to cancel your current supplier and change you over, if you are recorded as accepting the phone conversation, by merely answering "Yes".

RegardZ.
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
Meter change over and "Net'" conversion 6th July 2017.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:49 am

yes, "YES" in the english language means: you are agreeing to whatever was said previously. the whole thing is recorded. it is common practice. i said "YES" to change the internet plan for example. saying yes meant to me i want to change it and agreed to what the person on the other side of the telephone line read out before saying yes.
so, if you just ring them up for social reasons or out of curiosity, do not say yes, but you have a choice of another million words in the english vocabulary to spice things up a bit, without you agreeing to a contract.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GarnZ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Australsolaria, I understand what you are saying, however, If you answer "Yes" to the the request to send out some paperwork on the proposal of a change of electrical supplier, you have to be careful that you haven't unwittingly given permission to cancel the existing supplier, when all you wanted to do was examine the proposal.

RegardZ.
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:42 pm

AGL has been in trouble for failing to do the right thing:
http://reneweconomy.com.au/agl-pays-600 ... end-29712/
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby GarnZ » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:14 pm

RE-my gripe with Energy Australia. After filling in a survey and giving them a roast about..
No "Base" figures to work out electrical use.
No evidence that I am on "NET" solar usage.
No bill from last October.
I had a call today from EA and they were apologetic and said matters will be handled better from mid this month, when they have their system fully operational.

RegardZ.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives