Roof pitch for optimal solar generation?

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Roof pitch for optimal solar generation?

Postby GLO » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi,

I have a couple of related questions, some which i have read opinions online but still would like to see what other forum members here think!

I'm based in Sydney and planning a new home with a 25 degree roof pitch (panels would face a few degrees east, just off North. My questions are:

1. Is the 25 degree roof pitch sufficient, or should i increase the pitch with the use of spacers on the top mounts?

2. My current house has a 22.5 degree roof pitch and i have pigeons trying to nest. Anyone with a 25 degree or greater roof pitch confirm that they Do or Don't have this issue with birds.

3. Anyone tried the bird deterrent such as the Humming Wire or the Spinning Chrome pyramid that are used at the local pools?

Thanks in advance.
GLO
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Roof pitch for optimal solar generation?

Postby SandyP » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:57 pm

From memory, your degrees latitude is what your tilt angle should be, so for Sydney it is 33 degrees.
Provided it does not add to the install cost, then tilting them up will assist however, it has been mentioned that just adding a panel or two will make up for the slightly lower efficiency.
8 x Suntech 190W panels, FM60, VFX3024, Mate2, 12 x 2V 620Ah Hoppecke GEL OPzV batteries
SandyP
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: Roof pitch for optimal solar generation?

Postby australsolarier » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:04 pm

there would not be much difference between 22.5 and 33 degrees tilt. it is not worth the effort and expense and flat on the roof looks better and less intrusive. spend the saved money on more panels.
there are tables online that give you the theoretical difference in annual energy harvest.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Components, Installation And Performance