Options for refrigeration

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Re: Options for refrigeration

Postby lad » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:45 pm

I have seen an underground cool room here in northern Tasmania. It has an "airlock" type entrance ie: one set of doors, a small room and another set of doors then the cool room. The doors are both timber with the internal doors being heavy timber (2 inch hardwood). There is no air seal on either set of doors. The walls are domed brickwork covered in a minimum of 1 meter of earth. There are no additional insulative materials used. This cool room sits at 15 degrees C all year. This is an excellent environmental solution.

I could see an additional room added to this, being insulated and having a compressor installed to give a cold store to complete the picture.

The key to its success is the thermal mass. The "roof" of the structure has grass and low vegetation and is in a bush setting.

It was very pleasant sitting in the "airlock" looking out the window, drinking home made 10 year old cherry wine.

What else could you want for......
30 130 W Kyocera panels
Latronics LS7048 inverter
Outback mx 80 reg
12 Exide 4RP1800 batt
Apricius tube 315l H/W & gas boost
Kubota GL-9000 8.5KW diesel gen. 55amp batt. charger
Belvedere 5000 Hydronic heat, heat exch h/water boost

Grid DISCONNECTED
lad
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:42 pm

Tracker wrote:Chest freezers are always the most efficient, be they used as a freezer of a fridge.

To get things into perspective, the freezer thermostat normally has a thin tube inserted into the freezer wall.
It has just two electrical wires.
You can buy a "Drink-Fridge" version of the same thermostat, that can be be swapped as a direct replacement.

The replacement thermostat would likely set you back about $30..

The only benefit of the $150 version is that you don't have to tamper with your freezer..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Willandra » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:24 pm

DC compressor units typically are more energy efficient than AC induction (240VAC) type compressors. That is, they use LESS electricity for a given transfer of BTU's.

The key element as you have sussed is insulation - the more the better. You can buy polyurethane in a spray, or in sheet form. Tel 02 9898 0751.

Eutectic is desirable for solar based systems - a eutectic fridge will reduce the battery load. For DIY try the following:-

http://www.ozefridge.com.au/System%20Details.htm

Be warned - you cannot believe all you read on the net, and especially not in forums. Also please note that to a large extent the alternative energy industry has taken over where shonky used car dealers left off....

Cheers,

Paul
Willandra
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby stivzor » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:09 pm

Willandra wrote:
http://www.ozefridge.com.au/System%20Details.htm

Be warned - you cannot believe all you read on the net, and especially not in forums. Also please note that to a large extent the alternative energy industry has taken over where shonky used car dealers left off....

Thanks Paul,
that site looks like exactly what I have been looking for. Do you know what prices apply for the packages?

(ha ha - I have been on enough forums to know that you need to have any advice backed up!)

I still think my plans are feasible, although I do have to weigh up the DC/AC issue...

Stivor
stivzor
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Willandra » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:39 am

stivzor wrote:Thanks Paul,
that site looks like exactly what I have been looking for. Do you know what prices apply for the packages?

(ha ha - I have been on enough forums to know that you need to have any advice backed up!)

Hi Stivzor,

The eutectic units are a bit expensive, around $1500 I think, but the dollars you will save on solar panels/inverter watts going 24VDC instead of 240VAC should more than compensate.

Good luck, it is very satisfying when you design your own system - and a LOT cheaper!

FWIW, I have set up four solar systems over the years, and I have never applied for the grant. It worked out cheaper to do it myself without the grant than to get in a "professional" and get the grant.

Cheers,

Paul
Willandra
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby GeoffHammond » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:40 am

I'm currently running a chest freezer with an external thermostat that I built myself, but am also going to use two fridge controllers to control the freezer temp of my Kiwi fridge/freezer's freezer section to around 6-8degC and the fridge section to around 17degC. The latter is happening already. You can buy such controllers from homebrewing suppliers or from the big auction site in various states of construction.

Several home brewers have built big cool-rooms out of foam panels, etc and installed a small 240V window-mount air conditioner with its thermostat bypassed/replaced with one of the above-mentioned units.

Amid all the nay-sayers, many of these things seem to last for quite some time. Here's one:

http://www.mrmalty.com/brewstuff.php
GeoffHammond
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GeoffHammond » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:38 pm

...and here's a couple more:

http://franklinbrew.org/members/sj/walkin.html

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-late ... ler-11440/

So, it's certainly doable. The thing that stands out for me is to ensure you insulate the room to double what you think is excessive then a bit more to ensure you don't use too much energy keeping it cool, then find a way to combat excessive moisture and ensure you don't build a mould-farm...
GeoffHammond
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby howesij » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:52 pm

Hi

Have a look at http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12v-Fridge-Freezer-258Lt-CHEST-FREEZER_W0QQitemZ300398798492QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Food_Storage?hash=item45f129e69c

They are selling 258 lt 12v/24 freezers and upright fridge freezers

***Specifications***
Power Demand 7.5amp +/- 10%
Power Supply: DC 12V/24V
Power Rating: 90W on duty cycle
Capacity: 258lt freezer
Weight : 55kg
Fridge Dimensions : 1245(HL) x 665(D) x905(H) mm
Compressor : R134a Reciprocating Compressor
Power Cord Length: 1.8mt

***Specifications***
Power Demand 7.5amp +/- 10%
Power Supply: DC 12V/24V
Power Rating: 90W on duty cycle
Capacity: 210 liter ie. 142lt fridge 58lt freezer
Weight : 50kg
Fridge Dimensions : 1600(H) x 520(W) x550(D) mm
Compressor : R134a Reciprocating Compressor
Power Cord Length: 1.8mt
howesij
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Crawford » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:07 am

few pages on coolroom construction here http://www.burtonindustries.com.au/
Crawford
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:01 pm

I'm not sure this thread can be raised from the dead Crawford ;) as it was last posted to nearly 8 years ago, in early 2010!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Previous

Return to Living Green