Howdy!

Say g'day and tell us a little bit about yourself if you wish. If you have a wind or solar power system, big or small; flaunt its specs here!

Howdy!

Postby ElizabethH » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:52 pm

I'm new and ready to explore the renewable energy world. I am actually planning this year to start a DIY solar system for my off-grid cabin in the woods so I hope to learn a lot of stuff from you guys. Cheers! :D
ElizabethH
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Howdy!

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:43 am

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Elizabeth :)

How big a system are you thinking of setting up?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby lantern » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:06 pm

WTTB. You will find heaps of free info here.

https://www.rpc.com.au/information/faq.html
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby ElizabethH » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:23 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Elizabeth :)

How big a system are you thinking of setting up?

A 1.6 Kw or maybe a bit bigger. Something low-budget for the start :)
ElizabethH
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby new to solar power » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:36 am

Hello ElizabethH,
I have successfully built my own off grid solar system.
If you want I can give you direct contacts for good reliable off grid solar parts and these are much cheaper than the expensive brand names that will be offered to you by the Energy Matters Site.
Alex De Wright
new to solar power
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:39 am

I think you are barking up the wrong tree there Alex, as I'm pretty sure Elizabeth is not in Australia, so EM wont be offering her any good quality solar parts.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby new to solar power » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:02 am

Hello Gordon,
Yes I realize that Elizabeth is in a different country but the point I am making is that DIY projects are not really supported on this forum, and the comments are mostly negative.
China is really good at making rubbish equipment because buyers want cheap and the Chinese meet this market, however good quality equipment is available and is still at a good price.
There needs to be a lot of research done to find these suppliers, I have been to China twice now 31 days and also 57 days just to source equipment and tourism.
Now I am sourcing from China 5/20ft shipping containers of equipment for a client here in Australia.
This is my new retirement hobby
new to solar power
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:27 am

I wouldn't say that DIY is not supported on this forum, with the exception of when it does not comply with the law, such as plug-in DIY grid connect inverters and other dangerous endeavours.

I've certainly been DIYing solar since 1991, and quite a few other Forum members have installed their own systems and reported on them and asked questions here.

Importing 5 container loads of solar gear? "hobby" sounds like something of an understatement! I'd better remind you of the Forum Rules, and #13 in particular.

>
12. Advertising is not permitted in these forums, aside from in the "Marketplace" section; however, businesses wishing to place an ad in the Marketplace section must first contact the forum administrator for approval. Individuals wishing to post a relevant ad in the Marketplace section do not need to contact the forum administrator before proceeding. When posting an ad in the marketplace section, you must represent the goods accurately and include a location. IMPORTANT : Energy Matters does not take any responsibility for transactions resulting from non-Energy Matters ads in the Marketplace section.

13. Members who are involved in the renewable energy or competing industries must not pose as or give the impression of just being consumers/interested parties when participating in discussions.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby new to solar power » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:44 am

Hello Gordon,
I am not importing solar equipment what so ever.
Galvanized steel mesh, rolls of galvanised wire mesh, fence posts and some castings for gravel crushing machines etc
Sorry I didn't mean to give you the wrong impression with what I was importing that was just a bit of general information.
new to solar power
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby jaahn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:49 am

Hi New to solar power :)
"Yes I realize that Elizabeth is in a different country but the point I am making is that DIY projects are not really supported on this forum, and the comments are mostly negative.
That has not been my observation or experience. I suspect that most regular contributers here are DIY and/or off grid . Some are installers, some just like myself a keen DIY for some things camping and off grid, and with a commercial grid connect at home.

I have purchased some very well priced items from EM as advertised specials and a couple of items from private sellers in the for sale section. Very happy with this forum and have recommended it to others. I thought that any sensible questions, on quite a variety of subjects, have got a very detailed and helpful lot of discussion. Sure there is discouragement of unqualified people working on 240V stuff, but it is illegal in Australia so I see that as appropriate :shock:
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Introduce yourself