Subsidies to be back on-line?

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Subsidies to be back on-line?

Postby GarnZ » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:36 am

I heard on the news this morning that the Australian Energy Authority expects to reintroduce subsidies for Wind & Solar power within the next six months.
Any more info around?
I know the National Energy Guarantee (NEG) are schedule to meet next April. I can't see them agreeing, they will want subsidies on Coal.

RegardZ
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
Meter change over and "Net'" conversion 6th July 2017.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Subsidies to be back on-line

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:46 am

GarnZ wrote:I heard on the news this morning that the Australian Energy Authority ...

Can't say I have heard of them, did you mean the AER?
Any mention of what sort of subsidies?

Demand response is about to be a big thing in the Australian electricity market, but I wouldn't call it a subsidy.

https://www.energymatters.com.au/renewa ... ve-scheme/
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:26 pm

The aim of demand response management is to put less pressure on the electricity grid during peak power usage. This new incentive from the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) could lead to demand management investment of up to $1 billion over five years.
Electricity customers will be able to opt in to a demand management scheme offered by their energy retailer. This will help people manage household usage and make better use of rooftop solar systems.

I've been saying that is the likely best plan for ALL of Australia..
For households with more than (say) 2to3KW solar system, install a battery and use as micro-generators..
Only trouble is how it actually works during a blackout..
I suppose that it CAN'T really generate during a blackout..
I always considered the SA Tesla Battery to be a good idea if complemented with distributed home/battery storage..

Interested to know what the advantage will be for ME.. for this kind of system
Was planning to install an Evergen System (15kWH) to smooth out our personal usage costs
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:55 pm

Depending on who you are with, you can get paid much more than your usual FiT for exports during peak demand periods, and I think also paid for reducing loads during peaks.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:01 pm

http://reneweconomy.com.au/ausgrid-turns-to-rooftop-solar-to-save-on-network-costs-51647/
Oh, the irony of it all. Ausgrid, one of the country’s biggest electricity network operators in Australia, is looking to install more rooftop solar as a way of saving money on network investment.

Irony? Yes, because for the last few years – ever since the rooftop solar boom took off – rooftop solar has been decried by its critics as variously a sponge on society, the rich feeding off the poor and a grotesque imposition on the networks.

Now, the networks are turning to rooftop solar to actually reduce their costs – confirmation, if any was needed, of some of the many benefits of rooftop solar, which has already been shown to reduce, narrow and delay peak demand, and reduce wholesale electricity costs by a significant amount.

Rooftop solar – along with battery storage – is also the technology at the core of the development of renewables based micro-grids, which networks are starting to deploy in regional areas to reduce the risk of fires and storm damage, and offer a more secure, reliable and affordable mini grid.

Ausgrid – which is based around the Sydney metropolitan area and the Central Coast and Hunter Valley, is now looking to rooftop solar as a key tool to offset some of the billions of dollars it spends on replacing ageing network infrastructure.

It is offering incentives of $250 per kilowatt installed to encourage the installation of solar on the rooftops of warehouses and other industrial facilities in Sydney suburbs such as Auburn, Erskineville, Alexandria, Redfern, Randwick, Waterloo and Kingsford Smith.

The idea is to use the rooftop solar, along with energy efficiency, as a way to reduce grid demand and so push out the need for Ausgrid to replace that ageing network infrastructure.

Interesting list of suburbs... I would have thought they would like EVERYONE to participate..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Depending on who you are with, you can get paid much more than your usual FiT for exports during peak demand periods, and I think also paid for reducing loads during peaks.

So - theoretically, by installing solar, you will be seriously reducing consumption AND exporting..
How would they determine the reduction in consumption.. (other than the obvious of turning off the solar.. :-) )
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:57 am

Presumably with smart meters and DRED they can figure it out.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: Subsidies to be back on-line?

Postby GarnZ » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:04 am

Gordon L, you are correct it was AER that the TV show on the ABC (channel24) at approx 7 am on Monday, 18 Dec, mentioned, not as the Aust Energy Authority, that I mentioned... They stated that new subsidies for both wind & Solar will be reintroduced.... Hope it wasn't Donald's "Fake" news. There was no mention of DRED?
I should be able to get a "scrip" of what was said!
RegardZ.
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
Meter change over and "Net'" conversion 6th July 2017.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jules » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:46 am

Nice extract from reneweconomy Tracker :D

Seems to be a case of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" though I'm wondering if there isn't a hint of panic in the power industry as it dawns on them that there could be a sudden rush for the door as people dump the grid. What's next, a small credit payment for each Kw exported to the grid?

My small off grid system costs me considerably less, all costs included, to run than any grid connected account. Paradoxically, I reckon on-grid consumers who use very little power but still pay the exorbitant charges for the poles and wires disgrace, might be able to go off-grid to their advantage, if they can get over the initial capital costs.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter. Off grid for 30 years.

Spares; 5 x 12V, 1,000 Ah batteries plus a couple of regulators
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby dRdoS7 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:06 am

Hi,

jules wrote:I reckon on-grid consumers who use very little power but still pay the exorbitant charges for the poles and wires disgrace

That's been addressed, at least for Concession Card holders, with a "Service to Property" Rebate. StP in excess of Usage is rebated to the customer. I only saw it on our last account, but looking back it was on the previous one. I hadn't read anything previously.

dRdoS7
"I've got an idea. Here, hold my beer."
dRdoS7
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives