is it plausible

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

is it plausible

Postby poider » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:30 pm

Hello again,
I have a 80AH thumper battery with an inverter that I purchased for camping, I would like to get a couple of solar panels to set up in the back yard, I would set the battery up to charge from the solar panels.

1, Can I set up a charger that will charge the battery and automatically stop charging when the battery when it is full?

2, Can I run an extension cord into the house to charge i phone and i pad etc.

3, Is there a better way to do this without spending thousands of dollars

I would research the specs and limitations of the battery and charger etc before going ahead, and if necessary would have the setup inspected by a qualified person.
Peter
poider
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: is it plausible

Postby australsolarier » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:16 pm

all three questions yes
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:19 pm

As written above by australsolarier, yes... but why would you go to all that trouble and expense for such a minor load as charging a couple of i-things? The least expensive way to charge them is to plug them into the mains.

If you really want to use solar for such a small job,, forget the inverter and use a DC to DC converter. Much safer to keep the voltages low and not have a cord laying out in the weather.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby poider » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:As written above by australsolarier, yes... but why would you go to all that trouble and expense for such a minor load as charging a couple of i-things? The least expensive way to charge them is to plug them into the mains

I have two sensor lights in hall two iPads an I phone three cameras and a few other devices all rechargeable and would like to use free energy to do that
poider
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby jaahn » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:02 am

Hi poider :)
I will give you my opinion but the answers have already been given with the other opinions.

1, Can I set up a charger that will charge the battery and automatically stop charging when the battery when it is full?
If you use a solar panel you need to have a regulator/controller also which does this job. That is normal practice and there are many available ranging from very cheap to expensive and better quality. A suitable solar panel and regulator may cost <$150 off ebay depending on things. :roll:

2, Can I run an extension cord into the house to charge i phone and i pad etc.
yes but think safety !! the use of multiple devices on an inverter is not recommended. You must remember that the 240V inverter is not earthed so your safety is not protected as it is using the house wiring. An extension cord has very limited safety also. The 240V out of the inverter is just as dangerous but not protected like the house power. :shock:

3, Is there a better way to do this without spending thousands of dollars
I do not own any I brand products so am not familiar, but I believe they can only be charged by 240v genuine chargers in general. Other brands can be charged by low voltage battery power direct. I do that with my phones and laptop when away. But when at home I just use the regular power points and chargers. Costs almost nothing in power. :?
cheers jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics