Measuring Device part 2

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Measuring Device part 2

Postby poider » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Hello, I have purchased my measuring device, now the confusion starts.
I have several specs to understand
1 there is a readout watt..... do I assume that means the watts the device plugged in needs to run for example My television has .... standard picture mode ... natural picture mode and dynamic picture mode.... these modes read as ----- Standard 84 watts ----- Natural 113 watts ----- Dynamic 134 watts.
Obviously I need to use Standard.
So at 84 watts does this mean its drawing 84 watts per hour and if I ran it for ten hours it would be 840 watts or 1.4 watts per minute meaning it would take 12 hours for the television to use a kilowat.
Am i on the right track .
Peter
poider
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Measuring Device part 2

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:56 pm

I think we need to clear up the terminology, as it is often used incorrectly.

Watts, kW, MW, mW etc are a rate of power, one watt being 1 joule per second. Saying watts per hour, or minute, makes no sense in the context we are discussing here.

Energy is power X time, so 84W for an hour is 84 watt hours (Wh). 84W for just under 12 hours is 1kWh.

If you have a plug-in meter that is displaying 84W, then that is the current rate of power consumption. Generally they have a number of display screens, one of which will be energy, displayed as Wh or kWh.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby poider » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Thank you Gordon,
The readouts I have are
Watt
KWH
VOLTac
AMP
And there are secondary readouts for power factor and HZ
Power factor is constantly displayed with Watt, AMP and KWH.
The HZ is displayed with VOLTac
Do you know what the power factor is?
Peter
poider
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:51 pm

It doesn't really matter for domestic consumption, as you are not charged like businesses are for a lagging power factor, which is a common condition when lots of induction motors are running.

It's to do with the ratio between watts and volt amperes (VA). Watts = VA for DC, but AC is a bit more complicated, meaning that current can lag behind voltage over the sine wave for inductive loads (or lead for capacitive loads).
Power factor is defined as the ratio of real power to apparent power. For resistive loads the PF will be 1.

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Off topic chatter