Feedin issues????

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Feedin issues????

Postby flogbags » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:55 pm

We moved to Queensland Feb 2016, we organised to have a 5kw solar system to be installed on our roof for when we arrived. The Electricity company stopped it due to us not being allowed to feed back to the grid, saying there was no room, for feedin. We then were told, that if we pay $20,000 to upgrade the transformer on the street, we could have feedin. We ended up with a 5.98kw system on our roof, with a 4.6kVA export, after a lot of mucking around. Is 4.6kVa what everyone is on as standard, as this is well above my knowledge. The reason I ask is, our inverter never reads any higher than 4500watts, on a clear day. And only a month ago, my neighbor has had a 5kw system installed, and had no issues on feeedin.

any help would be much appreciated.
:?: :?: :?: :?:

Regards Mick
flogbags
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Feedin issues????

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Mick :)

In some areas there are limitations on what you can export to the grid, due to undersized transformers or cables, which can cause voltage rise problems.

It is possible to have a zero export system, where nothing is exported to the grid, with the use of a bit of extra equipment. It would be worth considering a battery if the electricity company is being difficult, that way you can more fully utilise your own energy production, day and night.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby flogbags » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:34 am

Cheers for the welcome.

We are considering batteries in the new year, but what i don't understand is the 4.6kVA. And also my neighbor had no connection issues regarding feedin.
Regards Mick
flogbags
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Alex Morrow » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:13 pm

With a (roughly) 6 kW system on the roof, the most you can expect to produce according to the 80% rule is about 4.8 kW at any one time, subject to conditions such as angle of the panels, orientation of the panels, temperature, and cloud or lack of it. (As an example, yesterday was almost cloudless, reached 37° in the shade and goodness only knows what on the roof, and my 2300 W of panels peaked at 1755 W during the day.)
As far as I know, private households were limited to 5kW of panels if they wanted to feed in to the grid here in Queensland. Why you couldn’t do so, and your neighbour could, I can’t imagine.

Alex
14 Sharp 170W panels with Fronius IG30 inverter
9 REC 235W panels with SMA2000HF inverter
Edwards LX305(2) solar hot water system
pvoutput: Spotted Gums A, Spotted Gums B
Alex Morrow
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby flogbags » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:43 am

Cheers Alex,

Out of my 5.98kw system i peaked at 4200watts, something seems off to me, im still scratching my head

Regards Mick
flogbags
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:33 pm

Mick, what inverter have you got connected to that 5.98kW of PV?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby flogbags » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi Gordon,

Its a Solax power
Grid connected photovoltaic inverter
SK-TL5000E

I don't know much about it, cheers

Regards Mick
flogbags
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Have you got a pdf of the specifications? I can't find any online.

Maybe the export limit is set to 4.2kW, assuming you have all the panels in the same orientation and face on to the sun in the middle of the day. If the sun is not face-on to them all, then you would expect a lower peak, but on a clear warm day you'd only expect about 4.8kW maximum anyway, if there was no limit in the inverter.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby flogbags » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:46 pm

No unfortunately I don't have a pdf, looks like i will just have to wait until December, to see if it pumps out 36-38kw's a day

I will let you know cheers

Regards Mick
flogbags
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics