24/7 fly spray??

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Re: 24/7 fly spray??

Postby Bthree » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:31 pm

Thankyou, thats better than my effort.
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby terryw » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:47 pm

Are you really sure that you cannot really live with the insects????
Insecticides can never be green so get used to the flies and other things. They won't hurt you...but chemicals, insecticides and poisons will. They'll also damage your grandchildren's planet.

We should all be trying to put the chemical manufacturers out of business!
terryw
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby emike » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:22 pm

All you need to do is look at a fruit fly traps that one can buy in the hardware stores. I make them out of fruit juice bottles as mentioned up thread, buy the refills and put in my bottles.

Mike
emike
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby stivzor » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:28 pm

I find this thread quite bizarre.
I have lived in Australia for <ahementyodd> years and never been so annoyed by flies or insects that I have felt the need to set up any sort of fly trap.

Permanent (24 hour) fly spray is incomprehensible! OK, I know some people are so precious about their rooms that they prefer a pristine environment, but (even though I find that beyond silly) that can be achieved in other ways.

Birds, bats, reptiles, spiders and all sorts of necessary creatures eat insects, so I would never attempt any sort of wholesale slaughter of them (except for introduced pests such as European wasps if you can successfully target them). The odd fly/mosquito/moth spate can be annoying, but that's about it.

Stivzor
stivzor
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby PeterC » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:01 pm

For another perspective-insect control strategies rather than health: Pyrethrin/pyrethroids are relatively safe insecticides (for people) but I agree it is obviously silly to expose oneself unnecessarily. Used sensibly, conventional chemical insecticides can be very valuable products. Constantly dosing at a low level is a recipe for selecting insecticide resistance in pests. Then you just get ineffective pesticides and one less option for insect control. It's like dosing up on antibiotics all the time. You run the risk that they won't work when you really need them for some serious infection. If you really must use insecticides (for some high value purpose such as an important crop perhaps, or as back up in case other approaches are failing) it is better to use them infrequently at higher dose so that partially resistant insects are killed as effectively as the fully susceptible ones. Then a whole bunch of other things should be considered in the balance like the effects on beneficial insects and so on. It's called Integrated Pest Management and seeks to use ideas from all quarters, organic, ecology, conventional chemical and so on.
Constantly dosing a valuable pesticide risks losing it as an option. It's just plain dumb.
Peter C.
PeterC
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Previous

Return to Living Green